Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: OT - Civil Engineering for Outdoor Railroad programs - need compiler

August 26, 2015 03:42AM
Hi,

I am always interested in learning more. It sounds like you have an interesting book.

I used many books and text books and experience. My first professional job was with a Lowe Engineers in Atlanta, GA in 1972, the summer before I started college. It was as a blue line boy. By 1979, I had helped out on many projects dealing with interstate highways, subdivisions, office parks, industrial parks (with railroad spurs), and a section of the heavy rail rapid transit (MARTA about 0.8 miles long but had a high speed junction and about 1.7 miles of the Georgia Railroad reloaction next to the MARTA East Lake Station).

I wrote the book as a series of five articles in Live Steam Magazine c1991-2. It was lost and finally found and printed in 2002-3. I put it in a book format after I lost my job in 2004. It was printed in 2006 and is still in print as Civil Engineering for Outdoor Railroads Volume 1.

About 2005, there were a few issues with bridges over streams by Live Steamers that were brought into question by overzellous (maybe) governing bodies. The one memorable case was one in Oregon where the governing body overstreached the definition of a navagable waterway and wanted a Live Steamer to tear down a 1-200 fooot long 20 or so foot high bridge. Volume 2 was written so that a live steamer would be able to show design figures of a bridge so that you were trying to act responsibly even if you had not hired a civil (structural) engineer for the Professional Engineer stamp. This book was published about 2008-9.

Volume 3 addresses tunnels, a "pre-designed" modular bridge, tie spacing and rail strength. This was published about 2014.

When I graduated Georgia Tech in 1980, I had both a civil engineering and an electrical engineering degrees. I falsely believed that I would always have a job. Since graduation, I have professionally worked in CE about 2 years and EE for about 24 years. Unfortuantely, the Brain Tumor I had removed in 2000 really crashed my working career.

Unfortuantely, the Feds do not accept my disability nor does Obamacare accept my disability (even though I earn between 35-50.00 per month).

I am proud that I have been able to provide some information for our shared hobby.

If you have questions, please feel free to contact me at edgarcorny@gmail.com.

Doug vV
Subject Author Posted

OT - Civil Engineering for Outdoor Railroad programs - need compiler

dougvv August 24, 2015 12:55AM

Chris Webster August 24, 2015 04:42AM

Jeff Young August 24, 2015 05:39AM

ND Holmes August 24, 2015 08:54AM

MSVHogger August 25, 2015 12:41PM

dougvv August 26, 2015 03:42AM

GeorgeGaskill August 28, 2015 02:38PM

dougvv August 28, 2015 04:17PM

GeorgeGaskill September 10, 2015 01:18AM

dougvv September 10, 2015 02:01AM

nickgully August 25, 2015 07:32PM

Glenn Butcher August 28, 2015 08:06PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login