Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Overnight Visitors

August 12, 2015 10:44PM
I stated it was not a restoration but a refurbishing. Most of the work, including the use of Bradbury & Bradbury wall paper on the ceilings, silver plated hardware, natural wood varnished letter board, and other non-authentic items are current day expressions of luxury this car never had. I've ridden in the pre-D&S B-7 in the 1970s when the Grandt family and friends chartered the car, I've also ridden the current car as a guest of Al Harper. I'm not counting things like modern refrigerator and heating system, but the visual aspects of the car's interior and exterior handling of details. The B-3, prior to the addition of non-authentic fixed seating in the parlor end of the car, was closest to what an early 20th Century D&RGW business car would have looked like. And even that reflected repaired fire damage that happened in the galley end of the car I think back in the 60s. The B-7 had serious water damage in the roof that went down into the car and that's because the D&RGW started storing it outside after bringing it to Durango for Silverton service. Granted, the B-7 had painted interior woodwork, which has all been stripped of the paint, and that brought it back to what it may have looked like. The car reflects the tastes of the current owner but it is not representative of what it ever looked like in D&RGW service.
Subject Author Posted

Overnight Visitors

Fritz Klinke August 12, 2015 01:03PM

Chris Walker August 12, 2015 03:21PM

Johnson Barr August 12, 2015 05:04PM

Jeff Ramsey August 12, 2015 10:16PM

Fritz Klinke August 12, 2015 10:44PM

jalbers August 13, 2015 09:38AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login