Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Carson & Colorado (SPNG) Then and Now #71

February 23, 2015 02:01PM
Mislabeled photos is a very common problem. It is compounded by authors who unknowingly use the mislabeled photo in publications. On the C&C I've discovered several photos that were over 20 miles off in their captions verses reality. In one example a series of photos shows three engine stock train climbing a grade labeled as Mount Montgomery when it is actually between Tonopah Junction and Belleville.
Another example shows the wreck of #14 (upside down next to the ROW) and indicates it is near Basalt. George Sapp and I spend an entire afternoon wandering all around Basalt trying to get the mountains to line up. Nothing worked, we eventually gave up. Several years later we were driving the ROW out of Tonopah Jct. towards Belleville and suddenly the scenery "clicked". I stopped the truck and dug out the photo and everything fell into place!
Even a properly labeled photo can sometimes be difficult to find the exact location. Brian Norden came across a photo of the wreck site of #12 that indicated in was on Montgomery Pass. I went out with the photo and had no luck with it. Later Brian did a little research and sent me a map of where he thought it was. Turns out I had driven past the location several times, but because the angle of the photo didn't make sense to me I had not discovered it.
Subject Author Posted

Carson & Colorado (SPNG) Then and Now #71 Attachments

Dave Peterson February 21, 2015 10:45AM

Brian Norden February 21, 2015 12:35PM

Dave Peterson February 21, 2015 12:48PM

Brian Norden February 21, 2015 01:51PM

rehunn February 21, 2015 01:59PM

Ron Grau February 23, 2015 08:25AM

rehunn February 23, 2015 10:28AM

Dave Peterson February 23, 2015 02:01PM

rehunn February 23, 2015 04:44PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login