Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Milepost guidebook

Mark Valerius
February 17, 2003 12:25PM
All of the messages so far are good info. IF you are VERY serious about driving from the lower 48, it would be money well spent going to the local bookstore (Borders, Barnes and Noble) and picking up a copy of Mileposts. This is the official Alaska highway guide. It is a mile by mile guidebook of the AlCan highway and its connecting roads in the Yukon and Alaska. The book also describes the four or five major highway arteries in Alaska proper. The guidebook lists mileposts of major (and some minor) points of interest, services, places to stay, eat and get car repairs.
Although the highway is much improved over the early years and most of it is now paved, it is still a long trip, over mountain range after mountain range, especially from Arizona. And it is by no means a superhighway. I personally wouldn't try an overland trip that far in the wilderness of that area with a six-year old. By the time you figure lodging and gas, it may well be cheaper to take the Alaska State ferry from Vancouver. The Milepost book, I believe, has a section on the ferry service and the costs. Try searching the internet for ferry info also. Plan well for success in an adventure like this, but by all means go. A trip to Alaska (and the Yukon and British Columbia) will reward you with memories that you will cherish for the rest of your life. What a beautiful place it is up there!! I must go back someday.
Just my thoughts on it. Good luck with your trip.
Subject Author Posted

Getting to the W. P. & Y.

Randy Riter February 17, 2003 09:51AM

Re: Getting to the W. P. & Y.

jim gary February 17, 2003 11:15AM

Skonk February 17, 2003 11:22AM

John Bush February 17, 2003 12:31PM

Dennis O'Berry February 17, 2003 12:04PM

Milepost guidebook

Mark Valerius February 17, 2003 12:25PM

Re: Getting to the W. P. & Y. *LINK* *PIC*

Boerries Burkhardt February 17, 2003 03:23PM

Dick Bell February 17, 2003 04:26PM

Re: Getting to the W. P. & Y. -Take Ferry

PRSL February 17, 2003 04:52PM

Bob Keller February 17, 2003 06:49PM

WP&Y Mike February 18, 2003 05:24AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.