Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Help with Shay Measurements

September 22, 2014 09:35AM avatar
Thanks Earl, yes, Dixiana is a 42 but its a real early wagon top 42 boiler the same shape as the 37 ton boiler in the kemtron kit. I am trying to modernize the kemtron kit which is basically D&C #4.

I have a boiler profile from Grandtline they were so gracious to share with me that has most of the measurements i need for the standard 42 class.

MC #8 is from what i can tell, a one off loco. Late in the game Lima began offering the high center boiler with that rear sloping steam pipe to the cylinders and that top sheet of the boiler sloping back to the back head. #8 was apparently special ordered longer than the rest. I have reviewed all the available photos on the shay site, kind of the bible for this kind of work. There are no other late model 42 locos with this boiler that are that long. I took a broadside photo of the loco and blew it up on the pad and calibrated the photo to a known dimension and began measuring. I have what i believe are very accurate plans for it. The whole loco is 2 ft longer overall with each truck being 1 ft further from the cylinders.
This is going to be real fun to make because its so different.
I am still mulling over the plan of attack to make the section with the steam dome and the rear slope.
Subject Author Posted

Help with Shay Measurements

Rich Johnson September 21, 2014 10:46PM

Mike Stillwell September 22, 2014 07:35AM

Rich Johnson September 22, 2014 08:05AM

Mike Stillwell September 22, 2014 08:23AM

Mike Stillwell September 24, 2014 06:07PM

Earl September 22, 2014 09:09AM

Rich Johnson September 22, 2014 09:35AM

Re: Help with Shay Measurements Attachments

jgunning September 23, 2014 09:03AM

Dan Robirds September 23, 2014 09:36AM

Rich Johnson September 23, 2014 01:39PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login