Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Car Lamps

January 22, 2003 08:54AM
About 6 years ago I made 2 lamps for the combine I am building to go with Eureka. It isn't an impossible job, as the likes of me doing them proves. However, what I would suggenst is that you find the style you are looking for and use it as a pattern. Not a pattern just for style, but rather a pattern for casting new parts. I made molds for various parts from the original and then cast them using the lost wax method. As for burners etc. those are still available if you find some guy who is lamp collector. The other metal parts, that is the fuel tank, lids and escutions for the cieling are all spun from brass. The spinning patterns were made in steel on a lathe and then I spun the brass over them. It is a bit of work and there is a learning curve to it, so buy more spinning brass that you need!
The designs on the "legs" are made using a die roll. I used sqare brass tubing, filled it with cerro alloy metal so it would not collapse when rolled, and they came out beautifully.
The two lamps I made are complete and functional. It just takes a bit of thought and work. Good Luck!
Dan Markoff
Subject Author Posted

Car Lamps

Paul D January 20, 2003 01:33PM

Glen Brewer January 21, 2003 07:07AM

Brian Norden January 21, 2003 09:21PM

Jason Midyette January 21, 2003 10:34PM

Dan Markoff January 22, 2003 08:54AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.