Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

NCNG Museum Update

January 11, 2003 11:33PM
Over the past month we have been working on getting #5 ready for the move into the museum. The engine is currently looking pretty stripped in the shop but progress is being made.
Thanks to some help from a local boy scout troop most of the siderods have been cleaned and polished up. I have been working to clean and polish any parts that have been taken off the engine starting with the throttle. I spent time at home taking it apart, cleaning and
polishing to get it looking decient again as all the cab fittings will eventually be.
The Throttle
The Scouts are currently in process of finishing the rest of the rods, however they were not present to work today. Scout Progress. A few of the museum members have been working to clean up and get the new boiler jacket ready for painting. Because these pieces were stored out side for a good few years they started to rust.
It was discovered that #5s pony truck was in bad shape. Herman and Ken took the time to investigate the problem. As it turns out a single locking bolt had come off years ago, causing one bolt to slip down and the whole centering mechanism to get out of alignment. Ken and I have been working to fix the problem. Because of the condition the truck was in, the main centering casting is slightly bent. We are going to have to jack up the engine and drop the forging, straighten it out and fix any problems the truck has to get it back into good shape. In advance of doing this Ken and I searched the grounds for suitable pieces of rail and heavy oak timbers to use for bracing when we get the front end lifted up. We managed to salvage a few short pieces of rail from the excess snap track that is used to move equipment via truck. Ken had to cut the strap iron off these short pieces which added some much welcomed heat to the shop.
Other projects around the museum have included the "digging out" of our homebuilt shop car, it had been sitting on the ground for the past year and is now back on rails once more. In addition during last week there were enough clear days for some group members to get some trackwork done. The track which will be loading/unloading track for passenger operations coming from the Northern Queen Inn.
This past week a few members have been working on a new work bench and shelving. Here is a photo of members Dick Marundee and Bob Austin working on the new bench. As a side project, Herman Darr, Ken Yeo and myself have been working on getting the brakes functional under the F&CC boxcar.
Today the final rod was twisted to match what was needed and installed on the car. I was fortunate enough to be the first person to climb onto the roof and apply the brakes. The plan now is to get the car moved into the museum building for opening until #5 is ready.
Until next time...
-=Andrew=-
Subject Author Posted

NCNG Museum Update

ncng9 January 11, 2003 11:33PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.