Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: NG in eastern Washington?

bcp
February 13, 2014 12:34AM
More research tonight:

The J. N. Teal was involved in the opening of the Celilo canal, which had a NG portage railroad around the falls. I suspect the banner had something to do with the opening ceremony. Through traffic could now go up the Snake River/Columbia River system to Lewiston, ID, and also Whitman County, without the portage around the falls.

[columbiariverimages.com]

The 8-mile-long The Dalles - Celilo Canal, located three miles north of The Dalles, was completed in 1915, creating a steamboat waterway around the Fivemile Rapids ("Long Narrows"), Tenmile Rapids ("Short Narrows"), and Celilo Falls. It provided a clear journey to Lewiston, Idaho. According to the Columbia Gorge Discovery Center photo archives, the first two boats to pass through The Dalles - Celilo Canal were the "Inland Empire" and the "J.N. Teal".
---
To the steamer Inland Empire, one of the original open-river fleet, was given the honor of leading the way through the canal. She passed down the river, from east to west. The J.N. Teal, of the same fleet, went up the river, from west to east.

And the NG railroad:
[books.google.com]

I now suspect the steamer in the the photo in my first post is in the canal around Celilo Falls and not somewhere in Whitman County like I first thought.

Bruce

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2014 12:42AM by bcp.
Subject Author Posted

NG in eastern Washington?

bcp February 12, 2014 09:23PM

South Park February 12, 2014 11:48PM

bcp February 13, 2014 12:34AM

albspng February 13, 2014 01:43AM

Charlie Mutschler February 13, 2014 07:41AM

o anderson February 13, 2014 10:24PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login