Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

tangent - Re: Here's another interesting photo maybe

January 27, 2013 02:37PM
Hi,

As a tangent thought, I preferred the box coaches to the passenger cars - better view than the coaches but not a Silver Vista dome. I think this is a railfan's point of view.

I think the general public prefers the faux "older" passenger cars even if they are not historic.

When I rode the Middletown & Hummelstown near Harrisburg PA. The crew mentioned that they had to live on the local business, not the odd-railfan who visited only once. On the ride up to the Indian Caves (sort of like the mine in the middle of the Georgetown Loop), they would discuss history of the 15-20 mile long ex-Reading branch from Hershey to Middletown.

On the way back, they had clowns, singing, and an overall festive atmosphere that brought in the locals. It was a nice party on rails. For me I enjoyed it but I was also interested in railfanning and stood out on the vestibule part of the time.

The locals would not have known the difference between the GE 50-tonner and a GP9. They were there for the fun. They would have noticed the difference between a diesel and a steamer (at the time was getting close to operational).

I'd still like to ride behind #19 one of these days.

FWIW

Doug vV
Subject Author Posted

Here's another interesting photo maybe Attachments

gothpapa January 25, 2013 09:47AM

Re: Here's another interesting photo maybe

Earl January 25, 2013 09:04PM

gothpapa January 26, 2013 12:25AM

C. Llamas January 26, 2013 06:43PM

Chris Walker January 26, 2013 09:23PM

employee2 January 27, 2013 03:33AM

weston1879 January 25, 2013 09:40PM

Re: Here's another interesting photo maybe Attachments

MD Ramsey January 27, 2013 01:07PM

tangent - Re: Here's another interesting photo maybe

dougvv January 27, 2013 02:37PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login