Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Here's another interesting photo maybe

January 25, 2013 09:47AM avatar
I was inspired by dougvv's post to rummage through my photos of the #19, and I came across this. Was going to add it as a reply to his but was afraid he might think I was trying to hijack his post.

06diesel.jpg

Osier, 1976. How it was before the "big house" was built. Catered by Port-of-Call (I know everyone thinks the current food service is great -- and it probably is -- but I still miss P-of-C's Mexican combination plate when I go up there. Probably just nostalgia). Serving line under the porch shed. Two or three tables inside, everyone else outside or on the train. A grand experience on a good day as here, a real adventure on a bad day. I still remember the first time I ate up there: the wind so strong it blew the food right off my plate.

Note the freshly painted "excursion boxcar" on the train. I miss those, too. Nice big windows that you could actually see out of. The opportunity to enjoy whatever nature was serving up. Riding the C&TS truly was an adventure in those days. Gives me a sad to ride it now, people sitting in those cramped and stuffy coaches, just staring straight ahead, cut off from their surroundings. Or worse still, indulging themselves in those hokey "parlor cars" while the world passes them by unseen. What's the point of that? drinking smiley Well, at least there is still the open gon for those of us who want to enjoy the "true C&TS experience."

The #19 must have been working a charter that day. That's Cici Martinez on the left of the group in front of the diesel. She rarely ever rode the train, but did go along occasionally as brakeperson on diesel charters. And yes, people actually did charter diesel powered trains.

Well, OK, that's enough nostalgia. Back to my cave.

"Time spent with CATS is never wasted." -- Sigmund Freud

"Nothing endures but change." -- Heraclitus

"C'est le meilleur des mondes possibles." -- Candide
Subject Author Posted

Here's another interesting photo maybe Attachments

gothpapa January 25, 2013 09:47AM

Re: Here's another interesting photo maybe

Earl January 25, 2013 09:04PM

gothpapa January 26, 2013 12:25AM

C. Llamas January 26, 2013 06:43PM

Chris Walker January 26, 2013 09:23PM

employee2 January 27, 2013 03:33AM

weston1879 January 25, 2013 09:40PM

Re: Here's another interesting photo maybe Attachments

MD Ramsey January 27, 2013 01:07PM

tangent - Re: Here's another interesting photo maybe

dougvv January 27, 2013 02:37PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login