Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Madagascar Railways - Anyone know anything about it?

January 13, 2013 12:06PM
I was there early in 2012 on a tour with LCGB, Madagascar is one of the least dangerous countries in the World for tourists, I've certainly been to many places more dangerous, and the locals are very friendly and welcoming to outsiders. It was so friendly in fact that on none of the internal flights I took we had to go through metal detectors, were searched, etc..., now that's what I call flying!!! PTG Tours from the UK and FACS from France have also run tours there last year (one and two respectivelly).

Pure freight train only run on the main line between the port of Tamatave and capital, as well as on the branch from Moramanga to Ambatondrazaka up to the Chromium mine near Vohidiala. This network is operated by Madarail and it is strictly forbidden for passengers to ride on non-passengers trains. I guess the only way to do that would be to convince the Madarail CEO, who is a Brit, otherwise you would have to ride on passenger trains (timetables see [www.fahrplancenter.com]) like everyone else (just like in the US or UK).

There are two operational "Micheline" railcars in Madagascar. ZM 516 "Fandrasa" is operated by the state-run Fianarantsoa-Côte Est (FCE) and can be chartered between Fianar. and Sahambavy (21 km). ZM 517 "Viko-Viko" is operated by Madarail and used on charters and regular runs on certain weekends (see Madarail website for dates). The "Michelines" run on rubber tyres. For my report about the motive power situation a year ago see [www.internationalsteam.co.uk]

Before the tour I also visited on my own among other places the touristy island of Nosy Be off the NE coast of Madagascar, where a sugar factory used to operate its own 3-ft gauge railway. I found the remains of five steam locos, all US-built, as well as four diesels including two Plymouths, see [www.internationalsteam.co.uk] If someone could tell me what the numbers found stamped on some of these mean I would be gratefull.

Thomas Kautzor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2013 03:43PM by tkautzor.
Subject Author Posted

Madagascar Railways - Anyone know anything about it?

KellsMuseum January 13, 2013 10:43AM

Re: Madagascar Railways - Anyone know anything about it?

tkautzor January 13, 2013 12:06PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login