Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Roswell RR "grade preservation"

January 01, 2013 11:04AM
Hi,

The Roswell RR was first proposed in about 1850 by the cotton mill in Roswell GA. Roswell GA is about 20 miles north from Atlanta GA. They needed a better way to ship to the railroad in Atlanta/Marietta (Western & Atlantic).
The grading was started in 1962 due to the need by the CSA for woolen uniforms. It was completed to near today's Oglethorpe University when Sherman came through. The planned destination was Atlanta. It was from these textile mills that the women workers were taken north into the great lakes area to deny the south of workers. No records have survived and these women are called the Lost Women of Roswell.

The Richmond & Charlotte Air Line (predecessor to Southern Ry) entered into a contract with the Roswell to gain their grade South of present day Chamblee (first called Roswell Junction). In return R&CAL would build to Roswell.
The railroad was opened for business in 1881, standard gauge in 1905, operations ceased in 1921, and the rail removed in 1924.

I took photos of the line in about 2000 and had a web site. I'll see about uploading the web site again - there are about 20 photos.

Several sections of line are locatable if you understand looking at property lines. In 1968, when we first moved to Dunwoody and it was rural, many sections of grade could be easily seen - many I walked. Most have disappeared under new development especially since the mid-1990's.

Doug vV
Subject Author Posted

Roswell RR "grade preservation" Attachments

dougvv December 31, 2012 07:04PM

Tower Operator December 31, 2012 09:32PM

Chris Webster December 31, 2012 11:02PM

South Park January 01, 2013 01:38AM

dougvv January 01, 2013 11:04AM

web address for photos

dougvv January 01, 2013 02:10PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login