Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Maximum grade for NG RR lines?

December 26, 2012 03:27PM
Everett pretty well summed it up. But if you look carefully you can usually find a spike or some other artifact. I was once following a creek where I thought there might have been a grade, but could find no sign of one. There was a steep narrow place where I thought no railroad would go, but about a mile further on I found a piece of cross tie with a spike in it.

I have seen photos of 14% grades on logging spurs, and heard of one that was 18%. On such steep grades a train would often consist of only two loads. As the timber receeded and lines became longer such steep grades became uneconomical.

Another thing to consider is the cable tramway or "incline" in logging terminology. These were as steep as 76% though 30 to 50% were more common. Generally there were adhesion grades both above and below the incline, and the only difference was the steepness of the grade.

Early truck roads often used old RR grades, but even when built from scratch they used the same design methods. One way to tell the difference is in bridges. Truck bridges and trestles were usually flimsier than those built for railroads.

As far as curves go, a small Climax or Heisler could handle a 50' radius curve. A Shay, with its side drive line, would require slightly more. On the Wallowa-Whitman N.F. we used a minimum of 55' radius for articulated log trucks and 75' for semi's and truck & trailer lashups.

What this all boils down to is that the only sure way to tell, on the ground, if it is a road or RR grade is to find an artifact. If the grade has not been disturbed though, you can sometimes see depressions where the ties were. And, even a spike is not always proof positive. When I worked in the logging industry in Western Washington we used RR spikes for anchoring guy lines, tail holds, deadmen, and anything else where they could be used.
Subject Author Posted

Maximum grade for NG RR lines?

Randy Boedy December 26, 2012 08:20AM

guymonmd December 26, 2012 08:38AM

jim pallow December 26, 2012 09:00AM

rehunn December 26, 2012 09:50AM

Wayne Laepple December 26, 2012 09:55AM

J.B.Bane December 26, 2012 10:18AM

Re: Maximum grade for NG RR lines? One-way or two-way?

KellsMuseum December 26, 2012 10:47AM

Kelly Anderson December 26, 2012 11:10AM

trainrider47 December 26, 2012 12:22PM

Everett Lueck December 26, 2012 01:36PM

J.B.Bane December 26, 2012 01:47PM

Jim Grigsby December 26, 2012 03:27PM

Taylor Rush December 26, 2012 06:01PM

Bill Dennehy December 27, 2012 07:06AM

Randy Boedy December 28, 2012 11:16AM

Everett Lueck December 28, 2012 12:38PM

Wayne Laepple December 28, 2012 03:19PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login