Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ecuador : First Train Quito to Guamote on December 27, 2012.

December 26, 2012 01:41AM
What a brilliant New years present!

The first through train from Quito to Guamote will operate on December 27 and 28. It will leave Quito (Chimbacalle) at 0800 On December 27 and there will be stops - presumably to celebrate - at Tambillo, Machachi, Lasso and Latacunga. The program of the first day will conclude with an event in Ambato, from 19:00. This will be the first scheduled service to Ambato for I think 15 years but somebody can correct me and supply the exact date of the last train.

On December 28, the train stops at Cevallos, Riobamba, Colta and Guamote.

The entire railway Quito-Duran needs only minor work now and Train Cruise, which will travel this stretch, will operate from June 2013.

The railway rebuilt approximately 500 miles of track, 32 stations, 5 workshops. In addition, eight locomotives electrodiesel, 7 steam and 24 passenger cars were made ready for service.

Lazarus had nothing on the Ecuadorian railway and the main credit goes to the President, Rafael Correa, Te Coordinating Minister of Heritage, Maria Belén Moncayo, and FEEP General Manager, Jorge Eduardo Carrera.

Jorge Carrera really deserves the lions share of the credit as his single minded approach has achieved the impossible.

Congratulations to all and I look forward to having my first report on actually travelling on the railway in the not too distant future.

Michael Grimes
Subject Author Posted

Ecuador : First Train Quito to Guamote on December 27, 2012.

KellsMuseum December 26, 2012 01:41AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login