Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

1940 Census for LaPlata County (Durango) Colorado

rod
December 24, 2012 12:44AM
I have compiled a spreadsheet from the 1940 census of La Plata County, Colorado, of employees (and their families) employed by the D&RGW and RGS. This county encompasses Durango and the surrounding area. My hope was someday to perhaps locate some of the relatives who might still be living to record oral history etc. but since we are now 72 years removed from 1940 that possibility is fading fast for the second generation...

Some of the interesting information that I gleaned from the data was the large number of the employees who lived within walking distance of the RR yard in Durango. In fact many were neighbors. The average pay reported for engineers for the previous year (1939) was $2,400, fireman varied widely so perhaps many were laid off frequently. Monthly rent was about $15 - $25 dollars in the downtown Durango area, while the Sterling Hotel seemed to be the choice for crews laying over in town. Laborers, Carmen and even the RGS brass like GM Clayton Graebing and Superintendent O.B. Olsen are listed. I found just two women employees, one a stenographer and the other a station caretaker. It even has a connection to current operations as the Max Casias family was living in Falfa in 1940 where Max was a section Laborer making $840/ year.

I didn’t record all the census data but by accessing the 1940 census online here:

1940 Census for LaPlata County, CO

you can quickly find the exact sheet in the census where the information I compiled was pulled from. So if you want to help uncover some history or are just interested in the human side of the narrow gauge story to compliment Jimmy Blouch’s D&RGW and Dave Grandt’s RGS postings along with Charlie McCandless' crew commentary you may find it an interesting and worthwhile pursuit. Drop me a Private Message (PM) and I will be happy to send you a copy of the Excel spreadsheet.

Merry Christmas.

Rod Jensen
Subject Author Posted

1940 Census for LaPlata County (Durango) Colorado

rod December 24, 2012 12:44AM

Re: 1940 Census for LaPlata County (Durango) Colorado

Bruce R. Pier December 24, 2012 09:37AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login