Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Ecuador Steam Update - Question for John Kirchner

December 23, 2012 09:59PM
John and Michael,

I have been following the developments in Ecuador with certain reservation that all that is planned can be accomplished completely and that the Government will continue to back the project. When Miryam (my Wife) and I traveled to Ecuador to plan a tour in Jan 2009. The work that was started then is not anything that we saw in April 2012 on another visit. We had to give up plans for 2009 tours.

The extent of the reconstruction is very complete, new ballast, concrete ties and wooden in some areas, rehabilitated infrastructure. New trains and rebuilt cars. The real challenge will be marketing plan with the need to reach new customers that are traveling to South America. They have a lot of new employees from the travel schools, new uniforms and a lot of enthusiasm for the new Tren Ecuador.

The steam project is being over seen by Watsatch Steam Contractors. Recent info had some photos of #53 being moved off the railroad to a local site in Riobamba to repair it. If the locos are reboilered it will make the operations more reliable at the beginning. The new cruise train will need reliable power both with steam and diesel as the lower part will be steam from Duran to Riobamba, then diesel to Quito.

This project will take a lot of time to build up to the passenger loads that will make this any kind of success. A Government Subsidy will be neccessary for many years. With changes in governments and new administrations that often have to reevaluate the past governments policies, will they be as ready to continue to fund this?

However in the 5 years that this project has taken, several missteps have occurred. I was impressed with the way the new employees want to make this a success. Let's hope that after a few years the management will develop a successful business model.

Dale Brown
www.wingsandrails.com
Subject Author Posted

Ecuador Update - Almost There - All our Christmases Are Coming!

KellsMuseum December 16, 2012 12:44PM

Re: Ecuador Update - Almost There - All our Christmases Are Coming!

Rick Steele December 17, 2012 06:32AM

Re: Ecuador Update - Almost There - All our Christmases Are Coming!

Dirk Ramsey December 17, 2012 07:17AM

KellsMuseum December 19, 2012 01:38AM

bananacarril December 20, 2012 09:03PM

trainrider47 December 23, 2012 01:49PM

DWBrown December 23, 2012 09:59PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login