Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

#19's Incredible Adventure

Chama Crew Caller
May 14, 2002 08:28PM
Work Extra 19 departed Antonito about 100pm on 5/13. After setting out a ballast hopper at Big Horn and a box car at Osier, arrived at Cumbres about 430pm. Ranger and I went up to hog catch the crew as they would go dead at 700pm. While doing a walk around inspection, I found the brake travel a bit longer than I would like to see on an engine about to head down a 4% grade with nothing but the brillance of George Westinghouse between me and my maker. Not having any tools to take up the brakes, we tied it up of the night with the intent of working on the next day.
Today, Steve Butler, Rick Rivas and myself went up about 800am and spent the morning tightening up brakes, and charging batteries with a battery charger powered by a portable generator. WX19 departed Cumbres light engine at about 1140. We ran real slow as #19 has wheels with tires, not solid wheels like most diesels. If you run the brakes too hard, the tires could overheat and come loose. So it was a sedate 8 mph shuffle down the hill stopping at Cresco and Lobato to check the wheel treads and let things cool. We got into town about 130pm. After lunch we spent the afternoon switching, getting 463's and 497's tenders out so they can be returned to thier proper places.
Look over at the Goat, 19's on the webcam right now.
Steve hopes to fire 497 tomorrow, if all goes as planned.
Subject Author Posted

Crew Call May 13, 2002

Chama Crew Caller May 12, 2002 10:21AM

# 19's Journey

Rich Muth May 14, 2002 07:53AM

#19's Incredible Adventure

Chama Crew Caller May 14, 2002 08:28PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.