Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: 3 ft. steam locomotives for sale.

May 13, 2002 08:35PM
That they did; the Penberthy is almost underneath the cab floor and is the only working injector on #12. The injector on the engineer's side may or may not have been functional, but it was simply plugged when it started spitting hot water and steam.
The throttle is a devil of a thing to operate; skinny 130-lb. me flat out can't use it. It takes a burly hogger to run it and sometimes two of him to close it. The brakestand, so far as I can make out, may or may not be connected but the levers seem to be seized up. She has no train brakes, only a new independent valve bolted to a piece of angle iron.
The builder's photo shows #12 started life with a single-lung compressor; reportedly it went to the Mt. Rainier Scene R.R. and now she carries a compound affair that clearly isn't functioning correctly (raises much less air than a compound should). #12 was used so intermittently the shop forces haven't given her a boiler wash within recent memory (#7 doesn't exactly adhere to the 30-day washes either, but never mind) and when she was sidetracked for leaky flues in September of 2001, the boiler inspector took one look at the scale and "condemned" it. Hopefully washing the scale out will get a clean bill of health.
The whistle is a beauty, but it's no longer on #12 - the integral valve on #7's whistle cracked and so the two whistles were switched. #7 now sounds great, though. There are other troubles a new owner might have - the couplers and siderods are painted (had to be, or the Hawaiian salt air would've corroded them in no time) and the brasses sure don't sound tight to me. One or two potential buyers have shown up to inspect her, once when I was on duty at the depot; if any of them frequent this board a word of news would be welcome.
BTW - #12 does fire very amicably - she almost does the work for you. #7 is more of a challenge and can be downright vindictive at times. Between the two of them they provided most of the characteristics of SPNG #9 in my story (how the real #9 fired, I've no idea).
Subject Author Posted

3 ft. steam locomotives for sale.

Bruce Pryor May 09, 2002 03:35PM

Tom Shreve May 12, 2002 09:15PM

Herb Kelsey May 14, 2002 10:17AM

Henry K. Porter May 14, 2002 02:14PM

Herb May 14, 2002 08:49PM

Dennis O'Berry May 12, 2002 09:48PM

William L. Petitjean, P.E. May 12, 2002 11:26PM

Marty Knox May 13, 2002 05:52PM

Tom Shreve May 14, 2002 12:36AM

Casey Carlson May 13, 2002 05:52PM

James R. Temple May 13, 2002 08:35PM

William L. Petitjean, P.E. May 13, 2002 11:52PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.