Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Coker's Adventures on the Mainline , Part 1

May 09, 2002 11:34AM
In April I gave mainline railroading a try in Trinidad ,Colorado.It was very different from my other railroad experiences . and I thought they be of some interest to you all .
Part 1 The Dark Side .
I started railroading 29 years ago in Chama ,as a coach cleaner . When you have been in the business as long as I have , you make a lot of friends who eith work on a mainline railroad or moved on from tourist roads to work on a mainline road . Several close friends are employees or officials on the Union Pacific or the Burlington Northern Santa Fe .For years they egged me on to try mainline rialroading .Conversely ,some of these same peiople would tell you what hell is towork this kind of railroading . It always seemed to be the "dark side" of railroading ,which ,like a lot railfans who tried it , I found confused feelings about it as a job vs. an interest . I would get calls from time to time ,where these friends would tell of an opening ,and implore me to apply .So one day I receive a n e-mail from a BNSF employee ,linking me to the BNSF web site . I e-mailed an application ,and the railroad drew me in ,even though I was not sure it was for me . I went to an interview in Pueblo ,and I even felt I sank to application when I honestly admitted to being involved in derailments ,etc . Nevertheless I was called and told to report for work at the Holiday Inn in Trinidad April 8th . Despite many reservations ,I felt drawn in by the company .I knew I would learn something ,and maybe make a little money to boot . On the afternoon of April 7 ,I said goodbye to my partner Laurie ,my house ,my friends and my life in the Durango area and headed for Trinidad .
I will continue this tale in installments .
Subject Author Posted

Coker's Adventures on the Mainline , Part 1

El Coke May 09, 2002 11:34AM

Re: Coker's Adventures on the Mainline , Part 1

Skonk May 09, 2002 11:46AM

Rick Steele May 10, 2002 08:00AM

Ron Welch May 10, 2002 10:30PM

Rick Steele May 13, 2002 07:31AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.