Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: C&S: Found M.C.Poor's source & Errors

March 18, 2002 08:47AM
Don't look for air tanks between the domes. It is not a spotting feature of the C&S locomotives this early in their existence.
These locomotives were sold before the modification took place. When the CRRM got the 31 from Rhinelander it didn't have them. The C&S initially sold the 31 in 1902. The photo of Manistee & Luther #34, on page 250 of CRA No. 12, which was sold in 1899 does not show any boiler mounted air tanks, either.
This program was initiated on locomotives after the sale of the two in question. I also believe that the modification wasn't done to locomotives that the C&S was planning on selling anyway, like the now too light Baldwin 2-8-0's. If I were you, I'd look for a Baldwin design with fluted domes and, if the Lumber companies didn't tear them up too much, a four panel cab and a large box headlight. These locomotives, with the exception of their larger sand domes, were ringers for the D&RG Class 56 locomotives.
OK, then we're talking about the post-1905 Deerfield River and not the one that the HT&W merged in 1895, or were they the same company with different corporate shennanigins?
My notes (from the HT&W ICC Valuation Report) shows that the Deerfield River Company (no RR) was Inc. in VT 4/2/1883 and ceased to exist on the chartering of the Deerfield Valley Railroad.
The Deerfield Valley RR was Incorporated by Special Act of Vermont, October 28, 1890 and merged into the HT&W in 1895.
You might want to visit (you being in PA) the National Archives in College Park, Maryland. They have locomotive rosters, equipment rosters, etc. fot just the era that you're researching. There are also thumbnail histories on each predecessor company.
Rick
Subject Author Posted

Serious help needed on C&S roster of 1948

PRR March 13, 2002 11:44PM

Re: Serious help needed on C&S roster of 1948

Rick Steele March 16, 2002 10:56AM

Re: Serious help needed on C&S roster of 1948

PRR March 17, 2002 10:23AM

PRR March 17, 2002 05:38PM

Rick Steele March 17, 2002 06:56PM

PRR March 18, 2002 08:08AM

Rick Steele March 18, 2002 08:47AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.