Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

F&CC Locomotives and Preservation

January 07, 2011 08:13AM
The "315's Sister" thread seems to be moving in other directions.

I can sympathize with the wish to preserve F&CC 10 / URy 12 / E&N 12 in Colorado where it spent most of its service life. I also understand Dan Markoff's point that engine's sale to the E&N and subsequent abandonment and exhibition in Nevada is probably the only reason it is extant today. Even though No. 12 has been out of service longer than in use, it has also been in Nevada longer than anywhere else.

It seems to me the most important issue is preserving F&CC 10. While the lack of care until now has been a problem, there is now some effort under way to work on repairs, which will make the locomotive presentable, and not prevent a restoration to operational condition. That's great news, and I'm pleased it is happening - at all. Thank you, Mr. Markoff.

There are three F&CC locomotives in Colorado, only one of which is currently serviceable. F&CC 3, later D&RGW 315 is serviceable, and stored in Silverton, Colorado. F&CC 8, now D&RGW 318 is at the Colorado Railroad Museum, and needs so much work that the museum has apparently decided that for the present the only responsible decision is to reassemble the locomotive as a static exhibit. F&CC 20, now RGS 20, is being restored for the CRRM at the Strasburg shop in Pennsylvania.

The point is, there are a lot of dollars needed for these projects, and I am sure the Colorado Railroad Museum would welcome financial support to help complete the overhaul of RGS 20. The work is proving to be more costly than initially anticipated, which should surprise no one. By the time the RGS folded, the 20 was a very tired and worn out old lady. And, of course, after that, restoring 318 is possible, if very large amounts of money can be raised. And then, of course, the Durango Rail Historical Society would appreciate some financial support to keep 315 operable.

Conclusion - there are four worthwhile candidates for your support - with your dollars or time and skills. And so, a plea - why not help support one of these four projects? Buy a book from the DRHS, or send some dollars to one of the groups working on one of these locomotives. If you live close by, how about volunteering your time and energy?

Thanks for reading. I've got to go send a contribution off,since I don't live close to any of the four.

Charlie Mutschler
-30-
Subject Author Posted

F&CC Locomotives and Preservation

Charlie Mutschler January 07, 2011 08:13AM

Re: F&CC Locomotives and Preservation

Jeff Taylor January 07, 2011 12:23PM

Re: F&CC Locomotives & Preservation ... thumbs upthumbs up

Russo Loco January 07, 2011 01:08PM

Re: F&CC Locomotives and Preservation

Fred Folk January 07, 2011 01:45PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login