-------------------------------------------------------
> IMHO, I would suggest, Greg, that unless you
> intended this post in good humor (which is not
> apparent to my eye), that you might want to
> consider deleting the post as inappropriate. I
> can't think single individual on this forum who
> has done more this year to actively support the
> railroad than Russ.

As usual the internet post gets taken wrong!!! I don't think you understand what I am referring to here.

This is not meant as a slam to Russ's or anyone elses amount of support for the railroad. Yes Russ has done a lot of stuff in the last year or so.

To clarify what I am saying is this.

When all this talk of running a Rotary in 2011 or 2012 has come up recently some folks including Russ and John Cole and maybe others have suggested turning it into a Media event to promote the railroad. Apparently they just realized the TV crew was there in 1991 and how it brought in some publicity. I was hearing how there is a move afoot to operate the Rotary the first day for the TV folks then afterwards for the fans, or other supporters, and it would be relettered C&TS for that event, so as to not confuse viewers.

So, looking at the flip side, I am suggesting that I think it might not be such a good idea for several reasons. The Real Supporters that I refer to are the ones who would be there PAYING for the tickets to such an event, not the TV folks. I have seen too many times where Railroads have catered to the TV media only to be disappointed with little or no coverage. It would be a shame to put the TV people first and let all the deserving fans play second fiddle.

So, I was not trying to be funny with my reply. I was serious, and suggest that if they really want to get media types there for C&TS promotion that they think this thing through a little more. Using the engine that is there 487 as 483, in my mind might be more reason to have create a "Media Event", that they cover something uniquely historical for the 40th. I know the event is already past but so what Russ has done re-created excursions already.

My reasoning is that the engine is already lettered the old historical C&TS, and the engine will be uniquely painted for the media. When this airs on TV folks will see a steam engine pulling passenger cars, which is what you are trying to sell folks in the first place. Showing them the Rotary in C&TS livery, Rio Grande Livery, or Jack-Squat livery will mean nothing to any viewers on a 30 second feel-good TV story. Most will say oh thats nice and move on, thinking it was a once in a decade event! But if you show them the train that they CAN RIDE LATER thats what you want to market in my estimation. Yes the rotary would make a nice photo-op big splash, but its not what should be marketed for ticket sales! If it were such a great idea then why has there not been any more media coverage since 1991 of the subsequent Rotary runs?

Another idea for quicker results is to get the media there for a special "Re-Opening of Lobato Trestle" when it is ready to go. Use the 487(483 or whatever it is), and do a big promotion and make sure the TV guys are there for it. Maybe show the special train which hopefully airs that night, or the next night, and promote some special event a week or two later. I think that viewers who see that piece would (a) get the idea that this is something special since the bridge is now open again, and (b) This is a neat train ride that we can go ride as well.

Food for thought and no disrespect. Please don't read more into my posts than are written there Mike!

Greg Scholl

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2010 03:14PM by Greg Scholl.
Subject Author Posted

X-treme X-mas Loco = MERRY CHRISTMAS!! ... eye rolling smiley Attachments

Russo Loco December 25, 2010 04:56PM

Re: X-treme X-mas Loco = MERRY CHRISTMAS!! ... eye rolling smiley

FordCVP71 December 25, 2010 04:57PM

Bill Scobie December 25, 2010 06:52PM

Nighthawk December 25, 2010 07:10PM

southparkline1 December 26, 2010 09:21AM

Ed Stabler December 25, 2010 09:29PM

Greg Scholl December 26, 2010 09:05AM

mikerowe December 26, 2010 11:42AM

John Cole December 26, 2010 12:39PM

rehunn December 26, 2010 01:44PM

Greg Scholl December 26, 2010 03:06PM

Merl December 26, 2010 03:27PM

John Cole December 26, 2010 03:40PM

Ed Stabler December 26, 2010 04:07PM

mikerowe December 26, 2010 03:58PM

rehunn December 26, 2010 04:22PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login