Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

C & C (SP) Narrow Gauge Then & Now photos #28

September 19, 2010 09:50AM
Here's is a set of photos taken on the east side of Montgomery Pass about 4 miles below the summit. The "Then" shot is on p.86 of Ferrell's SPNG book. It is credited to Guy Dunscomb. The date is not given, but given the motive power it is probably taken sometime in the 1910-1928 era. The "Now" photo was taken on June 16, 2010. This was one of the harder photo locations to find. I actually had hiked down to this area where the horseshoe curves are located to replicate a different photo. After I had found the other photo location (C&C #29) I began walking back upgrade when I suddenly realized that the photo in question had been taken in the middle of the lower horsehoe curve. It would have been quite possible for an employee (or early railfan) to get off a long, slow uphill train as it apporached the lower horsehoe, walk across the horsehoe and take the photo, then re-board the train as it climbed through the upper part of the horsehoe. You can see this set of horsehoe curves in the aerial view I posted of the east side of Montgomery Pass.
CC28then.JPG
CC28now.JPG
Subject Author Posted

C & C (SP) Narrow Gauge Then & Now photos #28 Attachments

Dave Peterson September 19, 2010 09:50AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login