Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: track and R.O.W. maintenance costs

January 16, 2002 10:09PM
Since there seem to be some folks here interested in the MOW side, let me provide a bit of info based on my being part of RGRPC. This is intended to be a quick and dirty overview.
The C&TS’s basic guidance is coming from a consortium of three former DRGW MOW managers who are familiar with the line. Initial priorities included surfacing, ties, drainage, and what I’ll call sub-grade stabilization, especially in the canyon on the east end. The FRA took jurisdiction in 2000 and added retraining walls, shoulders, and Mud Tunnel to our priorities.
There is a lot of very worn 70 lb. rail on the east end (west end is 85 lb.), and we have started relaying selected curves with good quality 90 lb. relay obtained from the Rocky Mountain Arsenal. We have something like five track miles of 90 lb. rail on hand. We had an interesting debate about pine versus oak ties, and last time I checked we were buying oak. Crushed rock ballast is being used. We have a huge number of kicked out curves and I am told there is no point in lining them until we have ballast to hold the track in place. There is also a lot of skeletonized track on the east end that needs ballast quickly.
Dan had two MOW crews last year. Max Pacheco, the roadmaster, heads up one and he is responsible for routine maintenance, especially on the west end. During the initial EDA project Bill Collins headed up an EDA crew that worked on the east end.
A major challenge was lack of machinery. We started with a tamper and a pretty useless ex-Army ballast regulator, and rented a couple of backhoes. Since then we have added a hi-rail speedswing, two tie inserters, spud liner, and hydraulic bolt machine. And I think I saw a welding machine as well.
Our ballast program is way behind my hopes and expectations, due to a whole number of problems ranging from getting EBT cars fixed, the 19 running reliably, and priority work on the retaining walls. But maybe next year.
There was some discussion above about welded rail. Keep in mind the C&TS’ extremely light traffic, especially axle loadings. I doubt that CWR would be justified. And PRR had some good points about curvature. Also we agree with his comment about joint maintenace, and started a progam last year. I have learned to kick angle bars as I walk along the track.
I’m looking at the preliminary budget for the next EDA grant, and it can probably be characterized as more of the same, with hopefully the addition of a ballast regulator, some more motor cars, and getting back to ballasting and surfacing.
We seem to be making progress. We made it through this past season with only one “reportable” derailment, and it was fairly minor. Knock on wood.
Oh, and going back to the initial question about cost of upgrading, some years ago the Commission got an estimate of about $5 million. Don't know who did it or what the assemptions were. But for $5 million we can probably make a lot of progress.
There are some folks here who know more about MOW than I do, and you are welcome to contact me back-channel if you have specific questions or comments.
Subject Author Posted

track and R.O.W. maintenance costs

Tom Stewart January 16, 2002 10:33AM

Boris Serena January 16, 2002 11:28AM

Curtis F. January 16, 2002 11:31AM

Better be careful here

Fred T January 16, 2002 11:55AM

Re: Better be careful here

Jim Adams January 16, 2002 01:32PM

Curtis F. January 16, 2002 02:03PM

Boris Serena January 16, 2002 02:14PM

Jim Adams January 16, 2002 03:13PM

Tom Stewart January 16, 2002 05:02PM

Brian Barr January 16, 2002 01:45PM

PRR January 16, 2002 05:50PM

C.H.Irvin January 16, 2002 06:24PM

PRR January 16, 2002 09:29PM

John West January 16, 2002 10:09PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.