Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: The solution, or a solution

January 16, 2002 10:34AM
It's not only being young that invokes a "no response" from some of these organisations. I'm 65 now but I've belonged to the R&LHS about 10 years. Back when I first joined I wrote to an address posted in their newsletter requesting information on Baldwin Loco building numbers that I was told they possessed.
The first letter elicited no response. Realising I hadn't enclosed a SASE I wrote again, three more times. I never even got one of my empty stamped envelopes back! They could have at least sent me a note that they didn't want to help me and saved me the trouble.
Subsequently I found an address for the fellow that handled the roster collection. I wrote to him explaining I was seeking a Baldwin builder's list. I did get a prompt response this time but only a listing of available railroad rosters, no Baldwin listing. Not even a note or reference to what I had asked for. Maybe they didn't have it but at least they could have said so.
I was unable to attend many meetings in the Bay Area due to time constraints and none in Sacramento. When I did attend a meeting I was given the cold shoulder and no one I asked would give more than a short vague answer to my query. It was as though the information was proprietary and unless I was a college professor or author or someone "important" they weren't going to waste their time on me.
I belonged to the Pacific Coast Chapter and because I liked some of the activities going on in the east I also joined the New York Chapter when I renewed my dues the next year. I waited and never received a word from the NY Chapt. After several months I wrote to them and subsequently received one newsletter, that's all. Never another one. My inquiries about what the society owned (equipment, etc.) met with the same results as everything else; I learned absolutely nothing.
I finally gave up. I didn't renew either Chapter membership although I retained my membership in the National. Their Railroad History publication every six months is admittedly worth the price of admission.
I know there are some fine people in the R&LHS. I've met some. I had occasion to write to T.T.Taber on a subject once and he is truly a dedicated and wonderful person. But the organisation as a whole is a complete turnoff otherwise as far as I'm concerned. It's no wonder they need members.
I know I will never donate my picture collection or anything else to them. They have too much stuff there for the private enjoyment of a few as it is.
My turn, my steam blowdown,
Richard Smith...Oregon
Subject Author Posted

The solution, or a solution

Grant Houston January 15, 2002 02:59PM

Eugene January 15, 2002 03:17PM

Mik January 15, 2002 04:29PM

I've seen it. Another thing to fix *NM*

Grant Houston January 15, 2002 04:44PM

Richard Smith...Oregon January 16, 2002 10:34AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.