Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The solution, or a solution

January 15, 2002 02:59PM
After reading some of the posts from some of our more senior posters, and some not so senior, that there is a growing problem with the newcomers not being interested. This is very troubling indeed, particulary when one of our posters is concerned with the UP's steam program. I'm sorry to say that I've seen examples of it too...
But, the best way to salvage our new generation is to give them the experience. Take your kids to great museums with steam, 1st generation diesels, trolleys, etc. Take them somewhere where they can ride behind something, steam or diesel. Show them around, and do it at an early age. I can remember that some of my foundest childhood memories were taking my friends, who didn't have much interest in trains, to museums like the Orange Empire, and the pomona fairgrounds. I know they had fun too, and even today, they are a little wiser when it comes to railroads.
Try to encourage your childs teacher, or even if you don't have a child in school, to take their class to see some place that can give them a REAL history experience, no biases in volved!
If you're a retired railroader, or know someone who is, get them to talk to kids about what it's like. Make their eyes light up.
Take them to a hobby store, and just show them around. In most cases, the sight of a brass steam engine will excite them more than a diesel. Get them an engine, some cars, and some track, and let them build their own little layout. When I wa three, my parents got me three train sets, and a whole lot of track, and even though they were cheap, I had great fun because I could set up track all over my room, and be an engineer in my mind.
Show them trains on TV. If they like watching Thomas, great. If they do, try showing them some real train videos. Find out what they like, and watch it with them. My father did that with me, and it helped to bond us even closer.
I guess what I am saying is that to save the future of railway preservation, we have to be active. We don't have to, and shouldn't force it on them, but even if you're child doesn't pick up you're love, when he or she is out of the house, if a friend or neighbor has a child, see if they are interested. And above all, if a child is interested in seeing, or operating something of your's, or is just staring at something, offer him a chance to see it.
My two cents
Grant
Subject Author Posted

The solution, or a solution

Grant Houston January 15, 2002 02:59PM

Re: The solution, or a solution

Eugene January 15, 2002 03:17PM

Mik January 15, 2002 04:29PM

I've seen it. Another thing to fix *NM*

Grant Houston January 15, 2002 04:44PM

Richard Smith...Oregon January 16, 2002 10:34AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.