Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Affordable, Quick & Possibly Permanent Solution?

September 02, 2010 09:24AM
Thanks for that Google reading on the bridge. From the topo maps I estimated a highway bridge elevation of 8275 feet, but without ground confirmation I would not be certain of either source. If you noticed where my tracks were shown following topo lines, you see that I am not proposing going to grade 700 feet above the canyon. The alignment follows the face of the canyon (as it begins to widen out) with a shelf for a distance of about 2000 feet to the area of the Lobato Trestle south footing. The USGS topo map gives the benchmark of that at 8298.

The grade over that distance, using your bridge elevation, is 1.9% Perhaps that is a little steep yet, but there are ways to deal with that such as a longer route or a diesel assist.

A backing maneuver can be limited to the straightest portion of the route, and the tail track would be sloped up such that a getaway would not lead to a train running off the end of track.

These back-of-the-envelope analyses are fun. It is still speculation, but it would be great if we actually find a solution that others in charge of the railroad care to investigate.

One more thing... I noticed a wye might well be able to built at the location of the existing Lobato siding. I don't know if is the same landowner as on the other side or not. Perhaps this area would be a better, flatter location to turn an engine.
O.
Subject Author Posted

Affordable, Quick Lobato Solution Attachments

o anderson August 30, 2010 10:52PM

Re: Affordable, Quick Lobato Solution Attachments

o anderson August 31, 2010 08:27AM

Re: Affordable, Quick Lobato Solution

Ron Keagle August 31, 2010 08:30AM

Chris Webster August 31, 2010 08:34PM

o anderson September 01, 2010 09:35AM

Curtis_F August 31, 2010 12:27PM

Roger Mitchell August 31, 2010 12:39PM

Jerry Day August 31, 2010 01:23PM

jhp43hot September 01, 2010 10:51AM

o anderson September 02, 2010 09:24AM

Abqfoamer August 31, 2010 01:07PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login