Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Affordable, Quick Lobato Solution

August 30, 2010 10:52PM
I would like to suggest what I think is an affordable and very doable solution to the Lobato Trestle situation. It occurred to me that there is an existing bridge crossing upstream from the trestle. It is an abandoned route of the highway crossing Cumbres Pass, and is visible in the aerial photos shown in earlier discussions. From USGS maps, it appears that the highway bridge is somewhere around 25 feet below the grade of the railroad bridge. If so, a temporary line down to this crossing would vary between 1 and 1.5 percent in gradient.

The bridge itself probably needs to be replaced for use by a steam locomotive. However, as an existing structure, it removes significant obstacles found with permitting stream crossings through the Corps of Engineers and/or environmental agencies. At least that is my experience as a design professional, and I hope it is true in this case.

After crossing to the north side of the ravine at the highway bridge site, the only option is to build a switchback to the mainline north of Lobato Trestle. This leaves the problem of how to operate a train, engines facing forward, for the remainder of the trip. I suggest building a wye in the field above the trestle, and a siding between it and the switchback.

Trains might operate out of Chama with the parlor car at the front end and with a locomotive pusher. At the far side of the switchback the lead engine would cut off, and the pusher would pull the train into the siding. The lead engine would pass the train in the siding and head to the wye. The pusher would cut-off and follow the lead engine and the two turned engines would slowly back down to couple onto the train and then operate as a normal double-headed train to Cumbres Pass.

Of all the solutions offered yet, this one seems to involve the least amount of track, minimal grading, and a rather straightforward small bridge replacement. Perhaps there is even a deck or through girder bridge on an old narrow gauge route, or sitting on an abandoned standard gauge line, which can be recycled for the job.

I want to see the trestle fully rebuilt, but I have doubts if it can be done in months, given the current economic climate. This switchback solution might be the best option until the new bridge comes.

O. Anderson
LobatoSwitchback.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2010 09:57AM by o anderson.
Subject Author Posted

Affordable, Quick Lobato Solution Attachments

o anderson August 30, 2010 10:52PM

Re: Affordable, Quick Lobato Solution Attachments

o anderson August 31, 2010 08:27AM

Re: Affordable, Quick Lobato Solution

Ron Keagle August 31, 2010 08:30AM

Chris Webster August 31, 2010 08:34PM

o anderson September 01, 2010 09:35AM

Re: Affordable, Quick & Possibly Permanent Solution?

Curtis_F August 31, 2010 12:27PM

Roger Mitchell August 31, 2010 12:39PM

Jerry Day August 31, 2010 01:23PM

jhp43hot September 01, 2010 10:51AM

o anderson September 02, 2010 09:24AM

Abqfoamer August 31, 2010 01:07PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login