Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Heavy smoke causes Yosemite Mountain Sugar Pine Railroad to temporarily close

July 10, 2022 02:59PM avatar
A Sunday, July 10, 2022 article on Fox26News:

The Yosemite Mountain Sugar Pine Railroad is temporarily closed until further notice due to heavy smoke in the area. The Washburn fire that is currently burning in Yosemite has caused the railroads’ air quality sensor to read very high levels.
Link to the full story: Heavy smoke causes Yosemite Mountain Sugar Pine Railroad to temporarily close

The Washburn Fire sounds hellish per this July 10, 2022 article on SFGate:

Wildfire activity inside the Washburn Fire burning in Yosemite National Park is reportedly so intense it's lifting tree debris hundreds of feet into the air, causing at least one near-miss for firefighting aircraft.

Radio traffic from a plane over the blaze Saturday documented the rare phenonemon: "Hey, just want to let you know, a branch went over the top of us," a pilot radioed into dispatch. "A pretty good size, probably 50 feet above us coming down and fell right between tanker 103 and myself."

"OK, copy. So like a repeat of yesterday," the dispatcher reponded.

"That's exactly what I'm getting that," the pilot said. "So if we keep seeing that, we might have to knock it off. I don't want to take a chance of busting a window on an airplane or hurting an aircraft for this."
Link to the full story: Plane over intense Yosemite fire reportedly nearly struck by flying tree debris
Subject Author Posted

Heavy smoke causes Yosemite Mountain Sugar Pine Railroad to temporarily close

Chris Webster July 10, 2022 02:59PM

Re: Heavy smoke causes Yosemite Mountain Sugar Pine Railroad to temporarily close

Dave Peterson July 10, 2022 03:24PM

Re: Heavy smoke causes Yosemite Mountain Sugar Pine Railroad to temporarily close

wchamp2 July 10, 2022 04:59PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login