Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Montana Southern Rwy

August 14, 2010 01:59PM
I believe the huge stamp mill at Coolige was disassembled in the late 70's or early 80's and the lumber was taken to California.

Did you stop by the RR station museum in Dillon? I believe the best collection of material on the MT SOU.lives there. If not, it is in Helena at the MT. State Historical Museum.

At one time there was an ex- NP RR telegrapher in the Dillon area that had assembled the available history on the MT SOU and was working on a book. As I recall he found some company history info that had long been misfiled at the MT Historical Museum at Helena.

The station building at Virginia City, MT is the ex NP station from Norris, MT, Off the Harrison Branch of the Northern Pacific, while the one at the other end of the Alder Gulch Shortline is a replica station.

As far as remains of trackbed in the Allentown and the same for remains near the jct with the UP RR- I believe several floods on the Wise R. and the Bighole have done more to take out the evidence than anything.

Also I would advise care in exploring around the two tunnels near the dam area on the Bighole. My interest was cooled on one attempt by big buzzing snakes in the rocks as I approached the tunnels......
Subject Author Posted

Montana Southern Rwy

john g August 06, 2010 11:46AM

Ted miles August 09, 2010 04:52PM

John Cole August 09, 2010 06:10PM

Dan Robirds August 10, 2010 09:27AM

john g August 10, 2010 11:10AM

stacktalk2 August 14, 2010 01:59PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login