Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

NNG: SLRG 18

July 25, 2010 07:28AM
Greetings All...this last Fri I was called for fireman on the La Veta Mountaineer, pulled by SLRG 18. My engineer was Earl Knoob. It has been decades since I last enjoyed a day of firing as such. It was a great pleasure firing for a first class hogger. We had a number of operational issues, filming for a PBS show, rain all the way up the hill from La Veta, etc. My engineer handled it all with great confidence. Now...least anyone think I am laying on thick...I simply want to point to all what a great engineer Earl is...its always great to fire for a great engineer. My day was also greatly added to by taking another ride on one of the truly fantastic railroads...if you have not been on this line...WOW...it is not to be missed. Thanks Earl. I also want to point out to all what a great running engine the 18 is. I have never worked on an engine were everything was in top notch condition. Boy oh boy...can this girl steam...and not just steam...she can really make up steam and water under any circumstances...the injectors are flawless...can always count on them...its really amazing. Kudos to ALCO! More especially much credit needs to go to Mr. Butler and his steam team. These guys really take great care of this engine AND there is not a nicer group of guys you could find! So...if anyone wants to ride behind one of the best running and maintained locomotives, and ride on one of the great routes...come visit us in Alamosa...steam train Fri, Sat Sun.
Cheers to all.
Subject Author Posted

NNG: SLRG 18

Steven Torrico July 25, 2010 07:28AM

Re: NNG: SLRG 18

John Cole July 25, 2010 07:34AM

Tomstp July 25, 2010 08:59AM

gbrewer July 25, 2010 09:14AM

Southern Pacific Narrow Gauge Tyler July 25, 2010 09:37PM

PBS show? Which one? *NM*

hank July 25, 2010 11:41PM

Re: NNG: SLRG 18 +

Dave Schaaf July 25, 2010 11:48PM

Tom Moungovan July 26, 2010 08:24AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login