Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Recent review of 1970 seems to ignore the published records

July 05, 2010 07:21AM
What is interesting in this review of 1970, is the fact that it is more a try to repaint the locomotive away from its D&RGW image than it is to really honor the work of the participants. I need to say that because so far there has never been a word about the publications that have been made which detail that work and name a great number of the volunteers. One book is 40 pages “Narrow Gauge to Cumbres-A pictorial History of the C&TSRR” by Doris B. Osterwald in 1972, Published by Western Guideways and printed in Denver. Half of the book is 1970 and half covers 1971 when 9000 passengers rode the line. Many names and items of their help is recorded which are not included in the recent printing of a list. In just one photo of a first train move out of Antonito can be counted over 25 people on the train.

A more descriptive details of the records was published in a spiral bound assembly of records by Terrance Ross copyrighted 1971 without a clear title. This included a day by day summary written by Ernie W. Robart of his wonderful records of all that took place full of names and car number of the daily status of all of the movements. The notes that Mr. Russ Sperry is now milling over are these records made by Ernie Robart and they have all been published here under copyright. Russ Sperry is banking on all these record and Ernie’s photos for his event so the credit of this effort is all due to Ernie W. Robart and not to someone else who is just rehashing the published history. Another chapter is written by George Swain. One photo shows a Speeder and trailer loaded with 11 people and tools en route to a job. This book also includes a reprint of Gordon Chappell History of the Narrow Gauge over Cumbres. Another chapter was written by Janet Berenda. Many of the photos show a number of locals of all races and the extreme amount of work performed. There are hundreds volunteer’s names in this assembly which has been ignored in the present attempt of assemble or re-write history. Much of the story is in here but there was a lot that did not even make these pages, which I am sure Terry Ross and other will acknowledge. There are many names in this book with the first name and no last name or just an initial as the true name was desired to be unknown. Because of my railroad employment at the time, on vacation, I was one of the unknown by desire.

I have a issue with a recent post on July 2 indicating I am a liar regarding my presence as one of the many who helped open the abandoned line and doesn't believe my postings about my adventure. Russ Sperry is also not giving proper credit where credit is due.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2010 09:47AM by John E. Bull.
Subject Author Posted

Recent review of 1970 seems to ignore the published records

John E. Bull July 05, 2010 07:21AM

Re: Recent review of 1970 seems to ignore the published records

Rich Murray July 05, 2010 07:56AM

Greg Scholl July 05, 2010 09:41AM

Chris Webster July 05, 2010 10:29AM

Russo Loco July 05, 2010 11:54AM

Re: Review of August 30 "Summer of Seventy" Tribute Train Attachments

Russo Loco July 05, 2010 01:41PM

Soap Box

dougvv July 05, 2010 02:03PM

Re: Governor's Special

Steve Singer July 05, 2010 02:07PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.