Re: Mexico as a topic ??

June 02, 2010 08:20AM
Ed Stabler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't know enough about the Mexican narrow
> gauges to contribute much, but I'd sure be
> interested in reading a good thread about same. --
> Ed

I don't know much about it either, but having visited on a rail-oriented trip in 1963, I have a soft spot for Mexican Steam, both SG and NG.

My only experiences were that we stayed in Merida 2-3 nights and saw three gauges at the station. Did not ride any of them however. We did charter a bus and chased a SG 4-4-0 to Progresso and back on a mixed train. That was an experience!!

On the way back north, we rode the autovia(SG) rail bus from Mexico City to Pueblo one afternoon, then the next day took the NG to Mexico City. We had number 268 on our daily passenger train. Passed several trains, and remember woman filling their pails with hot boiler water at all the stops. I think the NG steam ops only lasted a few more years after that.

Our leader John Vickers had his 35mm camera slide off his shoulder, and he grabbed the next opposite freight train to ride back and look for it. I think he rode in the caboose, spur of the moment. Railroading was like that back then, which made it fun.

My brother Randy and I were the youngest on the tour, and thus were somewhat outcasts. One day they were all going to the Valle de Mexico, and didn't think we would want to be bored with such a tourist trap!!! My dad saw what was going on and told us boys he would take us to San Lazaro, where we would see the NG roundhouse. This we did, and it was 100% steam at the time. Years later we ran into John Vickers while he was riding the 4449 Atlanta to DC, and he apologized to us, stating we became bigger fans that most of the others on that trip. We never held it against him, cause we always felt we had a good time at the NG roundhouse. Years later we found out what we had missed however!!!
I have some B&W images, but none have ever been scanned. The NG was quite interesting.
Greg Scholl
Subject Author Posted

Mexico as a topic ??

Brian Norden June 01, 2010 08:11PM

Steve Singer June 02, 2010 07:01AM

Ed Stabler June 02, 2010 08:01AM

Greg Scholl June 02, 2010 08:20AM

Re: Mexico as a topic ?? Attachments

John Wilke June 02, 2010 11:44AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login