Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Devil in the details

rod
May 29, 2010 10:59PM
My beef is not with Russ but should be directed at the C&TS operator(s). If you look at historic photos (even up until abandonment) pilot mounted flag holders and class lamps were still in evidence on the K’s (and other engines). Interestingly even engines never placed in service on the C&TS have been stripped of their pilot flag holders. Class lamps of course would have been a desirable item for thieves to pilfer so they were probably plucked prior to most of the engines transferring to the C&TS.

The class lamps and flags were used in the 1990’s as you see them in evidence in photos from the Trowbridge and Craft excursions from this era. I believe Earl had his own set of lamps if I recall one of his posts. Bottom line, these are important details that should be restored and then used appropriately when photo excursions are operated. The old adage that if something is worth doing then it is worth doing right certainly applies to the C&TS = maintaining the integrity of the equipment and operational history of the D&RGW.

Rod

P.S. Just so there is no misunderstanding D&RGW # 489 still had flag holders on the pilot in August of 1971 so they were subsequently removed by the C&TS. See John West's photo here:

#489 August 1971 John West photo

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2010 11:54PM by rod.
Subject Author Posted

Devil in the details

rod May 28, 2010 09:33PM

Wayne Hills May 28, 2010 10:27PM

Russo Loco May 29, 2010 08:52PM

Randall Hess May 29, 2010 10:06PM

rod May 29, 2010 10:59PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login