Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Alamosa's Modern Sanding Tower

April 25, 2010 11:58AM
So I am at a loss... I've been trying to dig up some information on the more modern Sanding Tower in Alamosa, but have had a heck of time doing so. To date, I've found a half dozen photos online (including Mr. West's fabulous ones from the 60s), and a few good photos in the Doorman/Hayden Alamosa book, but other than that, there seems to be very little data for such a modern (for the NG) structure.

I'm amazed that, with so many "railfan" cameras snapping away by mid-century, I've seen no photos, let alone even reference to, the tower being erected. Thanks to a great post by Earl back in November of 08, I now know that the tower itself a former tank car body (a suspicion I have always had, yet could never confirm). I'm still puzzled by the four "legs" of the tower. They seem to be dissimilar in rivet patterns and material voids on each leg, leading me to surmise they too were fabricated from scrap material. (Perhaps the car frame itself?) At the base of the tank I question whether or not the car's dome was recycled for use?

See photos here:
[ngdiscussion.net]
[www.narrowgaugememories.com]

Earl's photo shows the former tank to be that of a Hercules Powder Company car, which has given me some insight. Digging about in car registries, etc it could be possible this was an ACF Type 27 Tank, but I'm not positive.

So, the big (and simple) questions remain. How tall is the Alamosa Sand Tower. What is its diameter? How was it made? When was it erected? (The earliest dated photo I have found is from 1958)

Anyone know more?

TIA
Cheers!
Josh
Subject Author Posted

Alamosa's Modern Sanding Tower

WRRRJosh April 25, 2010 11:58AM

Re: Alamosa's Modern Sanding Tower

Russo Loco April 25, 2010 02:33PM

Re: Alamosa's Modern Sanding Tower

WRRRJosh April 25, 2010 05:06PM

Classic geometry problem

John West April 25, 2010 08:05PM

Re: Classic geometry problem

Russo Loco April 26, 2010 11:05AM

Earl April 26, 2010 11:13AM

Re: Skinny(?) Tank Car

Russo Loco April 26, 2010 12:16PM

WRRRJosh April 26, 2010 11:22PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login