Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Air set with retainers

February 25, 2010 03:33PM avatar
I don't know anything about the rr you mention, but I can see where the procedures would be a bit different with extreme grade and unusually heavy cars that might be non interchange ore cars on a mining rr. The reason I say this is that several years ago I was able to buy some assorted air brake parts for the Sumpter Valley from the Nevada Northern. On a whim I got a few retainers to use on some of our cars that do not have them, strictly for prototypical looks as we don't have enough grade to warrant their actual use. Common retainers are 10, 15 or 25lb and some have multiple settings, but these from the NN which had probably come from cars used in the pit are 50lb. Basically with 70lb brake pipe which was the std. for k brakes on frt. at one time, it would take a full service (20lb) reduction to initially put 50lbs in the brake cylinders. Probably they ran with higher train line pressure which raises the equalization pressure. For example at 90 psi. train line equalization would occur with a set between 25 and 26 lbs, with 65lbs. in the brake cylinders depending on piston travel. Perhaps they ran with even higher train line pressure allowing for additional set and release above the pressure retained.
Subject Author Posted

Air set with retainers

CharlieMcCandless February 25, 2010 01:58PM

J.B.Bane February 25, 2010 03:33PM

Mildand Terminal

CharlieMcCandless February 25, 2010 04:26PM

Re: Mildand Terminal

Ed Stabler February 26, 2010 06:00AM

Re: Mildand Terminal

CharlieMcCandless February 26, 2010 07:28AM

jim pallow February 26, 2010 06:39PM

CharlieMcCandless February 26, 2010 07:19PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login