Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Alexander Chapter, NRHS

February 09, 2010 11:33AM
Ted-

Thanks very much for the compliments. Fortunately, the tools at our disposal really aren't quite so rudimentary, as we are in woodcrafter shop and have access to a variety of equipment including a portable sawmill, large planer, and various stuff I have no idea what is. That being said, we are pretty damn adept with circular saw and a Sawz-All!! Given that our shop project leader has been a cabinet maker since he was born back in 1940, we have a wealth of knowledge and experience as well.

To your questions:

a) Neither one came with trucks. Thru lots of paperwork details, photo comparison and construction details, we have determined that the Lawndale #401 was actually an ex-Chester & Lenoir Narrow Gauge and likely dates from the late 1870's. Fortunately, a set of trucks does exist and we are in the process of fabricating them, including the casting of journal boxes. Here are the originals:

[www.tarheelpress.com]

With wood bolsters, this is really easier for us to do if we can find some suitable wheels.

b) We are looking to buy trucks for ET&WNC 434. Its wheels are larger (26" vs 24" for the 401). The steel bolsters on this car take it slightly out of our realm, so we're really forced to buy on this one.

c) Regarding Pine Creek Railroad donating the car to us, honestly, I'm just that good looking. :>winking smiley Seriously, there wasn't much to it. I emailed them our interest, showed them what we have done with the #401, showed the plans for the carbarn at the NC Narrow Gauge museum, and voila, eighteen months later she's sitting in our shop. J.R. May, from this board and the RYPN board pointed me to the right people, and Vic Crisanto and his crew up there were nothing but exceptionally nice and gracious throughout the entire process.

Thanks again, and if you are ever in the Tarheel state, please look us up!

Matt Bumgarner
Alexander Chapter-NRHS

[www.tarheelpress.com]
Subject Author Posted

Alexander Chapter, NRHS

Ted miles February 09, 2010 11:07AM

Matt Bumgarner February 09, 2010 11:33AM

Ted miles February 11, 2010 01:47PM

Matt Bumgarner February 11, 2010 02:31PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login