Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

C&TS time capsule

rod
December 12, 2016 12:48AM
In the video that Great Scenic RR Journey’s uploaded to YouTube and I shared here John Bush, C&TS President, remarks:

“The remarkable thing about the Cumbres & Toltec is that it is truely a time capsule, unlike most tourist RR’s we’ve got. All the stuff that was here we have got it in large volumes. So instead of a glimpse of the past you really get to be immersed in the past in a way that surrounds you that you don’t escape. You don’t need to worry about if you look this way you will see McDonald’s or a big parking lot. It’s the past as far as you can see in all directions.”

I couldn’t agree more with John Bush on how the C&TS is indeed a time capsule. I know many of us rivet counters on this board and elsewhere know the devil is in the details to make the time machine work. Most of us will admit there are limits that create compromises to our vision.

My point is what can we do constructively to encourage more rigorous adherence to historical accuracy with actions to maintain and restore what makes the C&TS so special? I think the Friends do a phenomenal job of restoring and maintaining equipment and structures but is there a master plan as to what happens and why/ when? What role does the Commission have in planning & oversight (and public discussion and input) of the Historic Preservation (HPA) funds and project designation in this regard? Does the RR have a current policy on how the viewscape of say the Chama yard should be maintained to assure a view of the past in all directions? I am talking about day to day “on set” access/ material/ equipment left in view. Imagine the Chama yard is your home layout (On3 preferred spinning smiley sticking its tongue out ) and you are hosting an open house daily from Memorial Day through October every year. What impressions will C&TS customers and visitors take away in their minds eye as well as their cameras that record the scenes today? Does a plastic outhouse adjacent to the Chama wool warehouse in the video referenced above offend your visual (or olfactory) sensibilities eye rolling smiley?

Here is a historic view that besides the ongoing debate about restoration of #483 we have seen much work by the Friends (expended over many years) to restore the coaling tower and I understand the sand house is designated for HPA funding now as well. What other items can you spot that this small historical view captures or others you would care to post to this thread that could be enhanced/ restored/ maintained for better immersion in the capsule of the “historic” Chama yard ?

Rod Jensen

Photo from the Stephen C. Eriksen collection

62-06-04 Chama 489 2700dpi-XL.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2016 12:54AM by rod.
Subject Author Posted

C&TS time capsule Attachments

rod December 12, 2016 12:48AM

Re: C&TS time capsule

ozinoz December 12, 2016 03:03PM

hsuthe December 12, 2016 03:57PM

hsuthe December 12, 2016 03:58PM

Abqfoamer December 12, 2016 05:26PM

hsuthe December 12, 2016 06:03PM

Randy Hees December 12, 2016 10:57PM

Re: C&TS time capsule & outhouses

o anderson December 13, 2016 07:35AM

Re: Encapsulate the Outhouse . . . Music

Johnson Barr December 13, 2016 11:58AM

Re: C&TS time capsule & outhouses Attachments

dave2-8-0 December 13, 2016 02:49PM

Re: Encapsulating the Chama Outhouse

Russo Loco December 13, 2016 04:22PM

et&wnc December 12, 2016 05:36PM

Tomstp December 12, 2016 08:30PM

et&wnc December 13, 2016 04:33PM

Re: C&TS time capsule Attachments

rod December 13, 2016 09:55PM

Wayne Hoskin December 15, 2016 07:49PM

rainbowroute December 13, 2016 10:32PM

CharlieMcCandless December 14, 2016 11:00AM

John Bush December 14, 2016 01:03PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login