Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tall Timber...end of an era

December 30, 2009 01:42PM avatar
Tall Timber was mentioned in another post. About 30 years ago my wife and I spent an absolutely wonderful few days at Tall Timber.

For those not familiar with Tall Timber, it is (now was) a luxury resort in the Animas River canyon, a few miles north of Tacoma. It was built and operated by Denny and Judy Beggrow. Judy was a granddaughter of the McCauslands who owned Ah Wilderness and who originally opened a lodge near Needleton in 1907.

Tall Timber was expensive, indeed very expensive (which is why Barbara and I spent a couple of days, rather than a full week). It was accessible only by riding the train or by heliocopter. They also had their own motorcar for supplies, which they operated between the resort and Rockwood. All the building materials for the resort came in by train, including the fibre glass pool, the size of which was determined by railroad clearances. Barbara liked Tall Timber because she could relax, sleep late, swim in the pool, read, and enjoy great meals in the main lodge (over looking the tracks). For me, it was up early and hike along the tracks, either north to Cascade or south to Tank Creek or Tacoma for train pictures in some nice remote locations. Net net, it was expensive, but a wonderful splurge for a railfan couple wanting to get away from it all. We wanted to go back, but never quite got around to it.

On a couple of recent Silverton trips I noticed that the resort had installed a "zip line soaring" tourist attraction, and even have their own fancy private car to shuttle customers from Durango or Rockwood on the train.

Today I called Tall Timber to see about reservations. Unfortunately the nice lady who answered the phone confirmed a rumor I had heard, that the resort was closed and the soaring business had taken over. And Ah Wilderness also closed some years ago.

JBWX

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2009 10:26AM by John West.
Subject Author Posted

Tall Timber...end of an era

John West December 30, 2009 01:42PM

Re: Tall Timber...end of an era

Greg Scholl December 30, 2009 09:18PM

Re: Tall Timber...end of an era

Doug Jolley December 31, 2009 01:38AM

Re: NNG: Food on the Fly ... Attachments

Russo Loco December 31, 2009 02:03AM

Re: NNG: Food on the Fly ...

Jackelopette January 07, 2010 12:00AM

Re: NNG: Food on the Fly ...

Richard W. January 07, 2010 07:40AM

Ah Wilderness

hank December 31, 2009 09:56AM

Re: Ah Wilderness

Greg Scholl December 31, 2009 10:40AM

Re: Tall Timber...end of an era--swimming pool

bill ramaley December 31, 2009 06:02PM

Why?

John West December 31, 2009 06:39PM

Re: Why? --- Zip Line at Tall Timber

bill ramaley January 01, 2010 09:24AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login