Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Drones at Chama

July 30, 2016 05:52PM
Since the subject of flying drones (or as the FAA calls them, UAS-unmanned aircraft systems) came up recently, and specifically around Chama, perhaps a look at the current state of regulations regarding drones might be helpful. I’m sure there are a number of folks that routinely read this board that also have drones. Hopefully most comply with the rules, use common sense, and are sensitive to others privacy. Those that don’t or didn’t bother to see if there were applicable rules, well, “if the shoe fits”.

The most recent rule is FAR Part 107 which goes into effect on 29August 2016. It is directed toward commercial use of drones and “hobbyist” drones do not fall under it. More on that later.

This page: [www.faa.gov] contains the FAA guidelines to fly a hobbyist drone. Essentially, they have lumped the hobbyist drones in with model aircraft. You can read all the other requirements on the FAA page, but here are the safety guidelines from the same page.

Fly at or below 400 feet
Keep your UAS within sight
Never fly near other aircraft, especially near airports
Never fly over groups of people
Never fly over stadiums or sports events
Never fly near emergency response efforts such as fires
Never fly under the influence
Be aware of airspace requirements

Note carefully the requirement to not fly over groups of people, I think that will just about cover flying over the photo lines.

Be aware of the airspace requirements. The requirement at Chama is to notify the airport operator if you plan to fly your drone with 5 miles of the airport. There are actually two airports in Chama, Eastside (FAA-ID NM24) just north of town and Chama Land & Cattle Co., (FAA-ID NM16) just south of town. So no matter where you are in Chama you have to talk to an airport operator before you fly a drone. If they object to your flight, the FAA expects you not to fly.

If you plan to make money from the photos or video you shot from your drone, you may want to take a much closer look at FAR Part 107. If you have a commercial purpose for your flight, starting on August 29th, you fall under Part 107, and not the hobbyist rules…. Sorry Greg.

Lastly, if the rules about airspace and notifying the airport operator seem overly cautious, they are that way for a very costly reason. Most of the FAR's (federal air regulations) are written in blood. Meaning that someone was killed or seriously injured as a result of not following the rules laid down in aviation. I was a professional pilot for most of my working life. During that time, I've had the misfortune of losing friends and co-workers to aircraft accidents. If you follow the rules there is a good safety margin, if not, all bets are off and you are taking what could be a fatal chance. You have to ask yourself if flying your drone wherever you want and ignoring your responsibility is worth someone else losing their life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2016 10:14AM by jgunning.
Subject Author Posted

Drones at Chama

jgunning July 30, 2016 05:52PM

Re: Drones at Chama

Paul Davenport July 30, 2016 08:18PM

pd3463 July 30, 2016 09:30PM

Rich Johnson July 30, 2016 11:39PM

Jim Grigsby August 01, 2016 05:27PM

Brian Norden August 01, 2016 07:12PM

KevinM August 01, 2016 08:47PM

John West August 01, 2016 10:03PM

jgunning August 02, 2016 07:58AM

pd3463 August 02, 2016 08:28AM

John Cole August 02, 2016 09:21AM

Lock1Smith August 02, 2016 01:09PM

KevinM August 02, 2016 01:37PM

Re: Drones at Chama Attachments

Rich Johnson August 03, 2016 08:33AM

Samart August 04, 2016 07:57AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login