Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Kilauea Sugar Plantation Co.

December 07, 2009 03:09PM avatar
Eric:

I have the book in front of me. You already have gotten info about it from another poster.

What you are asking is that someone on this forum violate the copyright laws of the United States. I know better than to get involved in that mess! "Sugar Trains" was published in 1973. Conde's second and smaller book, "Sugar Trains Pictorial" was published in 1975. Unfortunately, it has no Kilauea photos in it.

Jesse Conde passed away in the early 1990s, if I recall (I met him just once) but the family, I would think, still owns the rights to the books

Several of the Kilauea photos in "Sugar Trains" came from the Archives of Hawai'i, so maybe that might be a source of some photos for you. One of Kilauea's locos was built by Hohenzollern (Dusseldorf, Germany) in 1882. This engine no longer exists but there IS one Hohenzollern left in the State. It was built in 1887 and is the oldest locomotive in Hawai'i. It's at Grove Farm Plantation Homestead museum on the south side of Lihue, the capital of Kauai. Kileauea Plantation also was on Kauai.

The Grove Farm Plantation Homestead's Hohenzollern is very much restored and operative! I ran it back in 1987. It's a 30 inch gauge engine whereas Kileauea's was 24 inch gauge. Grove Farm Homestead, which is a fascinating museum, was operating the Hohenzollern (named "Paulo") last summer, pulling tourists in a tourist car. Grove Farm Homestead also has 3 Baldwin 30" gauge engines, 2 of which have been restored. They are 2-6-2Ts. I've also run one of them -- I liked it better than the Hohenzollern which is really tiny.

As you may have guessed, my great great grandparents were missionaries to Hawai'i, arriving there in 1837. They had 7 boys, the oldest of which was my great grandfather. The second oldest boy founded Grove Farm in 1865 and later was the very last Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Hawai'i for a few months in 1892.

With best regards Hart Corbett

Eric Bolton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> After a quick search for that book I have found
> that its price is WAY more then I would ever pay
> for a book. SOOOO does anyone here have that book?
> If so would there be any way that you could
> photocopy the section on the Kilauea Sugar
> Plantation Co. and either email them to me or mail
> them to me? $400 for a book is just not happening.
Subject Author Posted

Kilauea Sugar Plantation Co.

Eric Bolton December 02, 2009 09:35PM

Ed Stabler December 03, 2009 04:48AM

UnfortunateBystander December 03, 2009 09:29PM

Eric Bolton December 06, 2009 09:37AM

hwcwsl December 07, 2009 03:09PM

Eric Bolton December 07, 2009 03:26PM

GeorgeGaskill December 07, 2009 04:51PM

Re: Kilauea Sugar Plantation Co. Attachments

UnfortunateBystander December 10, 2009 04:37PM

Eric Bolton December 07, 2009 05:10PM

stacktalk2 December 10, 2009 08:18PM

Eric Bolton December 10, 2009 08:20PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login