October 09, 2001 04:28PM
In view of all that's being said about RGRPC, I thought I would post my impression of the trackwork being done on the C&TS. From my observation, there is some awesome work being done just east of Toltec Gorge. Retaining walls are being erected to hold the line in place with rail and steel. There are piles of ties and rail at several places, and I can see where some soil and a whole lot of rock has been moved up there. I talked with Carlos Llamas about this, he says the rail is being driven at least 15 feet into the ground to hold this retaining wall in place. It appears that the steel being used is from old boxcars. It was white corrugated material, and I thought I saw a number sticking up at one edge. I suppose that sometime, some of us could volunteer to make a foundation and lay rock in front of that steel to make it a bit more attractive. However, considering that this is funded at least partially by public means in combination with our society (Friends), I find the work very impressive. I rode my bicycle along portions of this area a year ago and I can see significant change.
I also walked a bit of the track below Coxo. I can see where significant numbers of ties have been replaced.
Carlos also told me that #19 was being used on a daily basis to move track material to the Toltec Gorge area. He said the work was planned to continue until the snow and weather makes it impossible to get in there.
In summary, I'm very impressed with the work that has been accomplished on the track. A step has been made and more steps will be ahead.
Jim Burrill
Loveland, Colorado, USA.
Subject Author Posted

Comments on Trackwork.

Jim Burrill October 09, 2001 04:28PM

Re: Comments on Trackwork.

Gary Waite October 09, 2001 06:09PM

Fred T October 09, 2001 06:49PM

Jaybawb October 10, 2001 03:18PM

earl October 10, 2001 03:48PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.