Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: I wonder if the driver regrets this?

October 08, 2009 04:09PM
I don’t see any double yellow line in the video. I am not sure how that crossing is set up, but it appears to have gates and some type of lighted signals to warn motorists of approaching trains. If what appear to be gates are in fact gates, they do not appear to have functioned in the video. There is no way to tell whether the signals lights were working. Since gates and lights normally function together, a failure of the gates might indicate a higher than average probability that the lights failed in this incident.

Even if the lights and gates did fail, the first driver obviously sees the approaching train, and is yielding to it. One would think that the following driver would have likewise seen the train.

Beyond that, I am not sure what actually occurred. What seems inconsistent with trying to beat the train, is the fact that the driver passed in front of the train with a very noticeable nonchalance. It appears as if the driver could have easily beaten the train if he or she just stepped on the gas.

I would not so easily dismiss the fact that the gates failed if that is what happened. I don’t know how it would handled in Holland, but in a U.S. civil trial, a failure of the gates or signals to activate would play a very large roll, and possibly result in the vindication of the driver on the basis that the railroad company was negligent in allowing the warning system to fail.
Subject Author Posted

I wonder if the driver regrets this?

Chatzi473 October 05, 2009 11:01PM

K-27 Afficianado October 06, 2009 12:01AM

SebJ October 06, 2009 02:56AM

Ron Keagle October 06, 2009 07:42AM

SebJ October 06, 2009 02:08PM

JohnK October 08, 2009 09:06AM

Ron Keagle October 08, 2009 04:09PM

guymonmd October 06, 2009 07:27AM

Jeff A. October 06, 2009 08:08AM

GeorgeGaskill October 06, 2009 12:52PM

Gavin Hamilton October 08, 2009 08:27AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login