Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: EBT stationary steam engine and Fall Spectacular

October 06, 2009 09:49AM
With so much attention given to locomotives and what should be done with them, the ongoing restoration of the East Broad Top shops shows how much more there was to railroading, how many people were employed, what they did, how they lived, and the conditions in which they worked. I hope people will see past the simple number of steam locomotives in operation and find that the EBT has many other valuable aspects which have few peers in the world.

Remember that as late as 2001, the condition of the shops was in a downward slide, every year visitors (I don't think it was just me) would look around and find new failed beams, missing tin, emergency props, or other depressing sights. If you toured the shops back then and shook your head thinking "Too bad I'll never get to see that engine move," then it's time to visit again and celebrate the fruits of your volunteerism and support. Owners, management, and volunteers can work together to save America's treasures. Surely there are many more major problems yet to be addressed, and ambitious goals yet to be achieved, but this weekend we can all watch the the stationary engine spin and know that this one seemingly-impossible goal has been achieved, so why not more?

EBT Fall Spectacular, October 9-11
FEBT Fall Reunion, October 9-11, stop by FEBT's tent for details on registration and activities
FEBT Auction of Doug Taylor's On3 Collection, October 10

William Adams
Subject Author Posted

EBT stationary steam engine and Fall Spectacular Attachments

lbiemiller September 22, 2009 07:06AM

EBTfan15 September 22, 2009 01:44PM

WalterS September 22, 2009 02:28PM

Abqfoamer September 22, 2009 03:39PM

William Adams October 06, 2009 09:49AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login