Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

D&RG RY Budd Car Information

September 09, 2001 10:40AM
The cars were purchased by supporters of the line, who’s wish it is to remain anonymous at this time. They are on an almost permanent loan to the Foundation. Both are very complete and will need very little work to have them ready for use on the line. As for stainless running on the Creede branch, I don’t believe they ever did (If someone has pictures I would love to see them). The last true passenger train was in the 1930’s (Pullman). The biggest problem is the expense of rehabbing Pullman cars, due to the rust they have endured over the years. The stainless Budd cars, with a few days of scotch bright, look like brand-new cars. Although these may not be historically correct for the line, I am positive they will be a valued addition to the future history of the line.
The cars history is quite unique the 1939 Budd Stainless, 85 foot, Round End Private / Observation Car built for the Sea Board line. It was one of the first Round end cars to be produced and was ordered Aug. of 1939 and delivered to Sea Boards “Silver Meteor” Train in November of 1939. It was transferred to Coast Line, then CSXT. The car was built as a 48 seat coach and 24 seat lounge. It was stripped of seats over the years and used as a training room. The car will be rehabbed into a private / observation using funding solely from the owner of the car. It will be painted with a Rio Grande Gold stripe and re-lettered “Denver & Rio Grande Railway” and named the "Wagon Wheel Gap". The car will feature 480 power, heat, A/C, 2 microphor toilets, 2 master bedrooms, a master bath with whirlpool bathtub, full stainless galley, dining room with fireplace, a large lounge with wide screen TV and full time DSS tracking. It will be a work of art to ride in.
The 1963 Budd Stainless - Railway Post Office Car (RPO) was one of nine built, it is 85 foot, triple door, used in revenue service till 1968 when the UP lost its contract for mail service. The car was used from then on in MOW service. It will be painted with a Rio Grande Gold stripe and re-lettered “Denver & Rio Grande Railway” and given back its original “Railway Post Office” name. It will be cleaned up and used as a concession car.
The Friendship was built in 1929, commissioned by Paul Block a newspaper publisher in Ohio. The car was built by Pullman, consisting of four state rooms, full bath in each room, additional bath, dining room, servants quarters, full galley, observation room and full open platform. The car was purchased by the Foundation President Don Shank. His plans are to rebuild the car, due to a fire in one of the room’s, for both guests and occasional runs on the line. It will be painted with a Rio Grande tuscan red and re-lettered “Denver & Rio Grande Railway” and given back its original “Friendship” name.
Hope this gives you a little history of the equipment the Foundation has. I try to keep the equipment page updated with pictures. As soon as the cars arrive I will add some more, plus get a few of the new paint jobs, once done.
Thanks again to all the supporters of the line, as you know even the littlest amount helps,
Matt Cutter
Subject Author Posted

D&RG RY Receives Budd Cars For Passenger Service

Matt Cutter September 08, 2001 08:44AM

How come going to this site always locks up my IE?

David Dewey September 08, 2001 10:29AM

Re: How come going to this site always locks up my

C.H.Irvin September 08, 2001 02:22PM

Tom Kneib September 09, 2001 08:15AM

Matt Cutter September 09, 2001 01:35PM

it works now!! Thanks!NM

David Dewey September 09, 2001 08:24PM

HEY Matt!

Rick Steele September 09, 2001 12:55AM

Re: D&RG RY Receives Budd Cars For Passenger Servi

J. B. Bowers September 09, 2001 08:06AM

Tom Kneib September 09, 2001 08:17AM

D&RG RY Budd Car Information

Matt Cutter September 09, 2001 10:40AM

Grant Houston September 09, 2001 10:22AM

Earl September 09, 2001 06:41PM

Round End Observation Car Arrival

Matt Cutter September 09, 2001 08:16PM

Re: Round End Observation Car Arrival

Matt Cutter September 11, 2001 06:53AM

Scott Leidenberger September 11, 2001 08:21PM

Matt Cutter September 12, 2001 08:29AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.