Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: C class question.

April 19, 2009 07:00PM avatar
eye popping smiley

I strongly prefer the green jackets. I'll take a green boiler jacket (next best thing to Russian/American Iron) over black any day.

Tyler, the C-19s and C-16s are closer to being kin than the C-18s. Not only were the C-19s and C-16s built for the D&RG, but they were a bit earlier than the C-18s. The C-18s were originally built for the Florence & Cripple Creek. You may recall the the SPng had some ex-Florence and Cripple Creek equipment...specifically AC&F boxcars and 4-6-0s...sisters to the three T-19s over on the Rio Grande Southern (#20).

Today, the only trains in Cripple Creek are of the tourist variety on a 2' gauge line. The town's first railroad was the 3' gauge F&CC coming up Phantom Canyon and using lots of D&RG equipment as well as high quality, new F&CC equipment. The second road into town was the standard gauge Midland Terminal...which came south from the Colorado Midland. The third road was the SG Colorado Springs & Cripple Creek District. It had both steam and electric operation...all of their equipment was premium (Barney & Smith trolleys & passenger cars, Schenectady locomotives). After the F&CC's mainline was wiped out, its equipment was dispersed throughout the western US...even to Hawaii. I've never seen a C-18 or T-19 offered in F&CC paint, but their freight and passenger cars have been offered.

Michael

Fred Folk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm with him, never liked green even on the
> Southern locomotives.
> Fred
Subject Author Posted

C class question.

Southern Pacific Narrow Gauge Tyler April 16, 2009 05:56AM

Ed Stabler April 16, 2009 06:00AM

Southern Pacific Narrow Gauge Tyler April 16, 2009 05:19PM

thatguywill April 18, 2009 09:37AM

Southern Pacific Narrow Gauge Tyler April 18, 2009 06:44PM

Fred Folk April 18, 2009 07:26PM

Jeff Taylor April 18, 2009 10:01PM

Southern Pacific Narrow Gauge Tyler April 18, 2009 10:35PM

myork April 19, 2009 07:00PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login