Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Information on the Chama Coal Tower

March 26, 2009 09:22AM
Craig,

Are you scratch-building this or bashing a kit? I scratch-built the tower in O scale around 3 years and that is how I come to know Mike Trent (on this board) as he was building the Durango tower in O scale as well. We had many emails and discussions about the similarities and differences between the two towers.

I believe the ‘Friends’ document does indicate it was originally painted and this can be seen in the early b/w pictures. As for the color, it was the same red that many of the early structures were painted. I do believe the entire structure was painted the same color.

Dorman’s ‘Chama/Cumbres with a Little Chili’ book has some nice shots of the tower. Page 6 has a nice photo dated 1938. Two things to note in this photo: 1) there is no overhang/canopy above the chute operating mechanism that you see in later photos and 2) the sandhouse bin is staked with large square timbers and not the round poles you see from the later photos. On page 21 there is a Bob Richardson photo from 1951 with the tower in the background and it doesn’t look like it has the canopy either.

Additional sources of information would be the plans from Maxwell along with the set from Blazek (www.blazeksplan.com), but be prepared for some head scratching when you compare the two sets of plans. From what I understand, the Maxwell plans were drawn up in Denver before any of the towers were built. I guess something along the lines of design plans, but as we all know there are significant differences between the three towers. Blazek’s plans are essentially as built, or more specifically as it was in the later years when he made the plans (80’s?).

Don’t hesitate to ask for more info, I’ll be happy to share what I know about the tower along with detail photos.

Dennis
Subject Author Posted

Information on the Chama Coal Tower

Samart March 25, 2009 08:44PM

bonefish March 26, 2009 07:11AM

Dennis Tebo March 26, 2009 09:22AM

bookemdanno March 26, 2009 09:50AM

Dennis Tebo March 26, 2009 10:09AM

bookemdanno March 26, 2009 10:20AM

mesaman3000 March 26, 2009 09:27PM

Earl March 26, 2009 11:54AM

Samart March 27, 2009 06:57AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login