Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: SP Narrow Gauge Crews

March 23, 2009 07:26PM avatar
I too recall the comment that extra board -- like brakemen -- people were sent out of Reno/Sparks via Greyhound bus. That was when bus service existed over the route.

I recently received some correspondence from a retired-railroader and railfan Bob Keene who grew up near the Jawbone branch and the Inyokern depot. He said that the regular crew on the standard-gauge freight from Mojave to Oweyno all lived in Mojave and were the senior men on the San Joaquin division living and working at Mojave.

The long-time agent at Owenyo - William Tommer - was there from 1924 until retiring in 1954. His wife lived there with him and their family grew up there. I was recently reading microfilms of one of the weekly Owens Valley newspapers from the mid-late 1920s era and often found mention of Mrs. Tommer being involved in woman social clubs and occasional mention of the children.

I suspect that the other families of regular people likewise lived in the valley. They may have used company housing, or owned or rented houses in the nearby towns.

Going back to the "Inyo Independent" newspaper it often reported railroad and community news from Owenyo. One item was that a newly relocated carman was going to be living in a company house at the former Mt. Whitney station site and his family was going to be joining him there.

Brian Norden
Subject Author Posted

SP Narrow Gauge Crews

John West March 23, 2009 10:57AM

Re: SP Narrow Gauge Crews

Brian Norden March 23, 2009 07:26PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login