Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Unfortunately, It was Bush's Fault!

January 27, 2009 11:34PM
I realise that what I say may touch raw nerves but Chris did have a point.Since the second reign of Bush Americans have become afraid to go anywhere and to some countries with very good reason.

For example both Ecuador and Peru are on his "recommended" or banned list for South America for U.S. Nationals as is Cuba, Venzuela. I know of no safer countries than Ecuador or Peru so what is the problem? No tourist has been killed or injured for as long as I can remember.

Chris was also right when he said the financial crisis got him. Again everyone would have to agree that it dried up bank credit without which no business can survive.But who caused the crisis? I am sorry but it appears to us outsiders that it was self-inflicted.Who caused Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and a long list of banks and insurance companies to go under? It certainly was not the outside world and to us ignorant outsiders the truth appeards that U.S. government policies allowed it to happen.

Whoever is to blaim, Americans do not seem to have the money to travel and bookings are down by well over 50% which is a fact of life whether we like it or not and it is immaterial at this stage who caused it.

Look, can I make it clear that Americans are more than welcome in Ecuador or Peru or wherever and they will be absolutely safe. But, can I ask why you are not even "allowed" to go on rail tours to Cuba? Do you call that freedom? The only country I can recall which banned its people travelling was the Communist countries.

And before I rush down to the basement to avoid the incoming flack after posting this message could I point out another sad fact. We outsiders love to travel to America, we are very fond of it, we regard the people as honest decent people but inbound tourism to the U.S. is well down on previous years - some figures say 40% - because it is impossible for people outside of a few privileged countries to get permission to come to the U.S. as a tourist. In my book that is called shooting yourself in the foot. Why do you not want people to co me and visit you? You cna get into Russia or Cuba easier than you can to the U.S.S.R.

I am sorry if I have strayed into political areas but to be fair to Chris he was a victim of cirumstances over which he had no control. He did run hellish good tours, he had excellent tour leaders but so often nowadays we kick someone when they are down. That does not mean that such a person as is kicked did not do something, maybe, to deserve some of it it but like a marriage one has to remember the good parts and forget the bad because nothing in life is perfect and my life certainly would have been all the poorer if I did not have the pleasure of some of Chris's tours and I am sure that goes for a lot of other people. Thanks Chris and my sympathies for your problems. I hope in the good U.S. tradition you pick yourself up and come back. But be careful not to promise what you cannot deliver as seems the case with some Ecuador operators this year, and I will not name any names at this stage but I think everyone knows who I mean.

OK, everybody can now start firing at me for my comments!

Michaee Grimes
Subject Author Posted

Travel Unlimited

John West January 15, 2009 09:25PM

Re: Travel Unlimited

Brian Norden January 16, 2009 12:32AM

Re: Travel Unlimited

Steve Singer January 21, 2009 08:24AM

New : The Flying Steam Engines of Ecuador

KellsMuseum January 22, 2009 11:51PM

Exactly My Point!

Steve Singer January 23, 2009 10:14AM

Re: Exactly My Point!

John Cole January 23, 2009 02:18PM

the Cause of TUT's Demise

Steve Singer January 27, 2009 02:43PM

Re: the Cause of TUT's Demise

Al Patterson January 27, 2009 03:55PM

Re: the Cause of TUT's Demise

DWBrown January 27, 2009 06:26PM

Unfortunately, the size was not stated.

Al Patterson January 27, 2009 09:39PM

Re: Unfortunately, It was Bush's Fault!

KellsMuseum January 27, 2009 11:34PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login