Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Train sheets and Durango Smelter

PRR
July 25, 2001 09:06PM
Yes, NEW Volume 9 of the RGS Story has several plans of the layout of the smelter and many photos. You will also see a rare photo of the Standard Smelter that was down river from the big Smelter. Mr. Dorman's book on Durango has a 1927 plan and more photos. Dorman's RGS Ultimate Pictorial has a 1903 plan. The Sanborn maps usually found on microfilm in the State Libraries and possibly Ft.Lewis College, should have maps that show the smelter, but I do not know for fact.
The Standard Smelter was in Otto Mears interest after he lost the RGS, and this smelter was at the true end of the RGS south of Durango due to joint trackage crossing the river and reaching the plant.
Do not expect to ever see D&RGW train sheets of the 1940-1968 time period as all indications are they were destroyed by the railroad. Never say never, but very little actual D&RGW records make it out of the office, not like the RGS where most of it was sold to R W Richardson by the box car.
Any word of a correction here would be most welcome. Please tell me I'm all wet. PRR
Subject Author Posted

Train sheets and Durango Smelter

John Vandenberg July 25, 2001 05:03PM

Frank Martindell July 25, 2001 05:49PM

PRR July 25, 2001 09:06PM

Dennis O'Berry July 26, 2001 12:23PM

PRR July 26, 2001 11:17PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.